Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Problems on Left Side...one duct in particular!

Unhappy Problems on Left Side...one duct in particular!

I have been engorged on the left side since my milk came in (my baby is 3 weeks old). Also on that side I've had 2 boughts of mastitis. My main concern is that I have one duct that sprays continuously (also seems to be near where the mastitis occurred...connection??). My baby has trouble latching on on that side, and when he does this one duct sprays so fast and so much that he coughs and has to break away, or he swallows his little heart out. I've tried laying down, having the baby breastfeed so that he's upright, etc. Everything I've read says engorgement should be all but gone by now based on supply and demand, and I can find nothing about overactive letdown in just one breast/duct. My question is, what can I do about this one duct? What can I do to help regulate the supply on that side (I am guessing I have way too much milk since it's always engourged on that side...I occasionally try to pump after the baby feeds to completely empty the breast when it's very engorged to prevent the mastitis or a plug again. But I know that if I do that too much I'll continue to make too much, so mostly it stays full. I'm stuck as to what to do.

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Problems on Left Side...one duct in particular!

I had a major oversupply for about the first 4 months (almost gave up many times b/c of the engorgement pain, and still have an OALD (I hear that they may not be related). (I had it for this long mainly b/c I didn't know how to properly manage my oversupply in the earlier months).

What I did that helped is blockfeeding (where you keep baby on one breast for periods of time so that the other breast gets full and slows down production), or feeding her twice on one side before switching. Initially, I started out with 6 hours blocks, then cut it down to 3 hr blocks (my LO usually feeds every 3 hrs).

My Left breast was also fuller than on my right, so I also fed my LO on the right side twice before switching and feeding her on the left once before switching back, etc. It sort of evens out after a couple of days.

Also, try to avoid pumping after feeding - or pump just enough to feel comfortable so that your body knows not to produce so much.
    Last edited by cmp12345; September 4th, 2007 at 11:52 PM. Reason: add

Thanks!!! I will try that

check out this link
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html

from kelly moms
    "Have you been very tired or busy, worried or stressed? Many times mothers who have recurring bouts of mastitis are not getting enough rest or are trying to do too much. Mastitis is often the body's way of telling Mom to "slow down"

Adding lecithin to the diets of moms with recurrent plugged ducts has been shown to be very effective. "

some moms find if the express before the baby nurses that helps with some of the pulling off and choking... just hand express untill you have let down and the spray lessons.
    Your baby is very young yet and will get beter at nursing over time.