Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Crying at every feeding!

Unhappy Crying at every feeding!

We are having a strange breastfeeding issue. My 10 day old DD seems to be resisting every time I feed her. Sometimes it is worse than others but basically she will show signs of being hungry then I go to feed her and she starts crying. Gets herself all worked up and won't nurse. IF I can get her to calm down, she can latch on and eat relatively nicely but it is a struggle every single time. I am not overfeeding her (if that's possible) it is every 3 hours or so, many times a lot longer.

I feel like I have tried everything...changing positions, moving to a quieter room, trying to wait until she "decides" to nurse, etc. But it has been the same thing almost since the beginning.

She started at 8lbs 10 oz, was down to 8lbs 3 oz at four days, back up to 8lbs 5 oz at nine days. So she is gaining back, but a bit slowly. I feel like she is only gaining at all because I am forcing her to eat!

Anyone know what could be going on? I don't remember anything like this with my son and I am really at my wits end...I mean whats up with the hungry baby who refuses to eat??? UGH!

Default Re: Crying at every feeding!

At what point does she resist? When she first latches on? After a minute? The reason I am asking is maybe you have an over active let down? Or maybe your let down is too slow for her?

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

She basically starts crying right away, as soon as my breast comes out. It almost is like she is anticipating it. Maybe a slow let down? I have never had a stong let down sensation, I just don't feel it very often. I breast fed my son for almost a year and had the same thing with the let down but very little problems nursing...don't know if that makes a difference?

I had a slow let down in the beginning & DD would get so mad at me. I did breast compressions & that seemed to help a lot. She also cries when she sees my breast, but that is because she thinks it needs to be in her mouth faster. I have also never felt a let down. My suggestion would be to watch her latch, make sure she has that right, & do some breast compressions to see if you can get your milk to her faster. HTH. We'll see what the other moms suggest. Hang in there! And congrats on the new baby!

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Another thought is Reflux. My two used to scream and fight like crazy until they were put on reflux med. Does she spit up alot? If so does it smell like stomach acid?

Just a thought.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo