Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just Fussy?

Question Just Fussy?

Hi Everyone,

Baby Peter has started something new in the last few days. Sometimes when breastfeeding, he'll get all excited, clench his hands and flex his legs out straight while pushing my breast away but frantically trying to latch onto my nipple as he moves his head back and forth. I've noticed that after each time he latches on, he'll spit out my nipple and go through the scenario over and over again. At some point he gets tired of the fight and cries. Once I can actually get him to calm down and latch on for a few minutes, he'll usually fall into a good sleep.
    Is this just fussiness? He's 29 days old today. Could it be part of a new growth spurt again?? Could it be gas? He doesn't seem to burp all that much, but has recently started to spit up a little at diaper changes (has never really spit up before).

Default Re: Just Fussy?

DD used to do this all of the time. For her, it seemed that she wanted to comfort nurse to fall asleep, but was mad that milk was coming out. It might be that he is just trying to fall alseep. HTH.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Could be any of those things, or your LO is tired. Mine used to do all that. It's so frustrating! But they get easier to read with time.

Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

Mine still does that at 4 1/2 months. There are times where I'm waiting for her to rip my nipple off- she pulls back and shakes her head. OUCH!! But I have definitely found that it happens most frequently when she's tired and wants to comfort nurse- thank goodness for pacifiers!!!!

Is the milk coming out or not? You said when you get him to latch for a few minutes he calms down and falls asleep, he could be upset that the milk isn't coming out right away, then when he sucks long enough to get to let-down is satisfied. Mine have fussed b/c the milk didn't let down fast enough, because the let-down was too forceful, and the comfort nursing thing pp mentioned where they don't actually want more milk but want to suck. That last started with one of mine much later on, in the early weeks it was milk too slow or milk too fast.

My milk definately comes fast. Thanks for everyone's answers.

DS does that, and I know that most of the time it means that he wants to comfort suck and is annoyed that the milk is coming out. If I give him the paci he goes right for it and typically calms right down, whereas if I try to keep him on the breast it continues and will escalate to him crying.

occasionally he will get upset if my flow is too strong. I will often notice when he pulls off it is squirting, so I will catch some milk in a cloth diaper or burp cloth or something until the flow slows, and then put him back on. if he still fusses, then I definately know he just wants to comfort suck.

J
    Last edited by jewelsf; September 5th, 2007 at 09:47 PM.