Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 month old only wants to bf lying down

Default 4 month old only wants to bf lying down

For the last few weeks my 4 mo old starts to cry if I try to feed her in my arms and eats happily lying down. Not a problem unless we go out. Any thoughts as to what might be causing it or any suggestions? I try to vary the way I'm holding her and I think she's teething. When she is very sleepy she eats happily in my arms.

Default Re: 4 month old only wants to bf lying down

Heheh I had that happen two weeks ago. I attributed to his growth spurt - he just wanted to be cosy and non distracted - lying down in bed was perfect for him - although I couldnt read my book because he would want to play with it.

He has since allowed me to nurse him upright again - so it may pass for you

My lo is 5 mo. and we have the same problem. I can't explain it. She is also teething. Why it would hurt her gums to nurse in my arms but not laying down I can't say, it seems silly. I can't wait to see what some of the mothers with older babies say. Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.

I hope this passes for you! My son did the same thing, starting around 3 months, but he didn't quit. Eventually, after a little over a month of that I'd had enough of not being able to go anywhere for long enough that he might want to eat. I decided to treat it like a nursing strike even though it was only a "positional" strike. I set aside a week to get him nursing normally again. I refused to nurse him lying down unless he got upset despite my best efforts. I didn't try to get much of anything done around the house, just showered James with attention and love. I tried offering him the breast regularly, before he got overly hungry. I tried various other ways to gently convince him to nurse, but what ended up working best was to would walk, rock, snuggle, play music, etc. anything to get him very relaxed when I knew he would be getting hungry, then when he was nearly asleep, I would sit in the rocking chair and nurse him. If he started crying, we'd go back to walking. I gradually cut back on the amount of soothing that I would do before I nursed him, so eventually I could just sit down in the rocking chair and he would nurse. It also bothered him if I tried to do anything else while bf (read, listen to the radio, etc). So, for that week, I cut out all that.

It was a long week, but it was well worth it. Now, at nearly 8 months, he does fine nursing nearly anywhere so long as there aren't too many distractions. Be gentle and patient with your LO, but be persistant! It will get better.

My lo did that, too. He was also around 4 mos. I think part of it was that I nursed him lying down a couple of nights in a row and so then he started to associate that position with getting ready for bed. Then, he started applying it to other times of day as well. I didn't mind for a while, but then it got too hard on my back.

Anyway. I eventually just had to refuse to nurse him lying down, and after a couple of days he started to accept the cradle position again. Now he likes to go to sleep in my arms...

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God