Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: green stools - is this ok?

Question green stools - is this ok?

Hi,

My 4.5 week old has been having green watery stools lately and I'm wondering whether this is okay; they used to be yellow, but not anymore. She also has a lot of gas and has a difficult time passing the watery stools. Are these two related?

Thanks for your help,

mom2bella

Default Re: green stools - is this ok?

It might be an imbalance of the fore/hindmilk. My DS had green stools one day when he was about 3 weeks old and I just kept feeding him from the same breast for a few feedings in a 3-4 hour block before switching him to the other breast to ensure that he had gotten enough of the creamy hindmilk. That did the trick for us, cuz the next day my baby got his mustardy yellow poo back

I did the same only with my liitle guy it took like 8-10 hours per side. I was very worried about it being a problem with me and my milk rather than how I was feeding and I looked it up and was given all kinds of advice that only worried me more. Keep in mind that it is unlikely (although it is possible) that your body is too blame. I would try to stay on one side for a few hours before switching so your baby gets the fatty hindmilk that he/she needs. For us, his stools were turning yellow by the next day. My doc suggested that the baby may just have a "fast moving gut" meaning he is digesting it quite fast and it is leaving before it has a chance to get yellow and seedy. If this is the case I would see if his weight gain is on target. If so, then just wait it out. Unless the baby is getting fussy during feedings. Good Luck!!

could be imbalance, or could be something you ate. had that prob with my ds last week, think it was some taco bell.

j

I had similar problems when DD was that age. In our case I was very oversupplied and she wasn't getting enough hindmilk plus she is very allergic to dairy. Even now I can't eat anything with milk products (sometimes it is in weird things like: hamburger buns, lunch meats, non-dairy butter substitute, pretzels...) I would read the stickies at the top of the too much milk forum. www.kellymom.com is a good non-LLL resource. If you think that you are oversupplied and block feeding doesn't calm LOs stomach, I would also consider food allergies. If the stools are painful for the baby and green, that faster you figure out why, the better for everyone!

From LLL Too Much Milk and Foremilk/Hindmilk Imbalance

FYI, it can take a few weeks for green stools to return to yellow stools. Look for a more settled baby with less gas to see if block feeding is working.