Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding newborn going downhill please help!

Default Breastfeeding newborn going downhill please help!

Hi I am breastfeeding my newborn son who is 3 days old. We did great in the hospital he had 6 wet diapers and 3 dirty diapers on both days. He latched on great the only thing is he would only nurse for about 5 min on each breast before falling asleep. Now at home today it has been horrible he won't nurse on my right breast and he will only nurse on my left breast for five minutes before falling asleep he only had 3 wet diapers today so I am worried maybe he is not getting enough now. I pumped out my milk from my right breast which was only about 1 ounce each time. When I get him to latch on my right breast he will suck a couple of times and then starts screaming. I don't know what to do. I don't think hes getting enough milk. When he does nurse on my left breast he falls asleep after five minutes and if I take him off he starts to cry or wakes up after I put he down and wants to nurse again. I am so confused. Should I supplement until he starts to nurse longer or just keep trying to feed him on left breast only?

Default Re: Breastfeeding newborn going downhill please help!

Hi There!

It sounds like you're stressed and worried! Newborns can be puzzling little creatures! It's great that your keeping an eye on his wet and dirty diapers--that's exactly what you should be doing to make sure he's getting enough to eat.

It is a little concerning that your baby only had 3 wet diapers today. Try to work on keeping him awake to eat. Strip him down to a diaper and put him skin-to-skin with you. Talk to him, stroke his feet and face and the top of his head.

Every time he stops suckling, do breast compressions:

1. Hold your breast with the thumb underneath and the fingers above so that your hand is in a C shape.

2. When he stops suckling, gently squeeze the breast. Don't pull or tug, just gently clamp down.

3. You'll likely find that this will make him start to suck again. As soon as he starts to suck, release the compression.

4. Repeat as necessary, rotating your hand around the breast. When he won't suckle after the compressions any more, try switching sides.

Please call a local LLL leader or lactation consultant first thing in the morning and get some one-on-one help. Until then, work on keeping him awake and do the breast compressions. If he'll only nurse on the one side for tonight, that's okay (you may need to pump some off that side for your own comfort). Just get some help first thing. A LLL leader or LC can help you determine why he doesn't like the one side or if you need to supplement.

Hope that helps! Hang in there and keep us posted!
    Hugs
    Jen
    Last edited by LLL LactoJen; May 2nd, 2006 at 12:58 AM.
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I forgot to ask you--has this started since your milk came in?

And some articles that might help too:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/positioning.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

my dd did the same thing at first and the lc suggested breathing deeply when she started to fall asleep. breathing deeply makes the nipple vibrate slightly which usually encourages sucking. it did work for us. hang in there, it's so hard at first. i went through exactly what you are going through but try not to supplement, just keep nursing as much as possible. and i agree, get some lll help or call a lactation consultant. i'm so sorry your going though all this stress and worry. seeing a lc will definatly put you at ease.

hang in there! it will get better!

diana

are you using bottles? Sometimes a baby will start to like the bottle better than your breast. My dd would only nurse on one side in the football hold.
    You have more control over their head and body in this hold. You might have to figure out what works best for your baby.
    I second calling a lll leader (free) or lc ($)..They can help.
    ITs normal for babies not to gain their birth weight for a few weeks.
    one once is good for pumping thats alot of milk for the 1st few times
    IT might help to take the baby to bed and just nurse, nurse, nurse!
    The baby is still trying to bulid your milk supply and you need to rest too.
    Newborns want to nurse just about all the time, the more they do the more milk they will get.
    keep counting diapars, your doing a great job!
    let us know if you have any other questions.

My dd would fall asleep nursing in the early days. I know this sounds a little cruel, but it worked for us. Take a baby wash cloth and get it wet with cool/slightly warm water and when they start to fall asleep, brush his face with it. Right under the chin worked wonders. It only took about a week or two of doing this to keep baby awake long enough to eat. It didn't wake her up totally, just enough to keep her sucking.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Any update?

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I went through this just a few days ago myself... and I'm a LLL leader!

I ended up having to step back and try to evaluate whether I just needed to try something new... So, I tried different nursing holds... I found that while my new baby wouldn't eat much in the normal cradle hold, if I held her in the football hold, she'll eat like a 200 lb trucker!

Seriously, I was so worried that my baby wasn't eating enough and doing enough wet diapers after my milk came in. Once I switched to the football hold, all changed. She's eating a ton more, she's putting on weight again and she's having more wet/poopie diapers.

You might just want to change positions.... Off I go to change another exploding diaper!

Jacqui

Hi there! I'm a new mom to a beautiful baby girl... and have been having a frustrating time of breastfeeding.

We've had to supplement with formula, but today went with exclusive breastfeeding (I ate pizza one night, and the dairy content might have caused my little one to have more gas than she could handle), so I took a break and gave her formula. I offered my breast again today, and after having read different latching-on forums on different websites, she latched on properly and without pain. Let's hope that trend continues. Right now, my girl suckled on my one breast for 15 mins, then falls asleep. Is that okay? She has a lot of wet diapers going on, so I'm hoping things are fine.

Anyway, I'm curious... how come different holds yield different results?

I posted a similiar post when my son was 2 weeks old. He was a very sleepy eater he would fall asleep after a few seconds. But I just wanted to let you know what worked for me. My husband suggested sitting him up to eat (I think it's the football hold) which worked very well, but he would only nurse for a few minutes and then sleep. So someone on the website posted to try breast compressions and that did the trick. I finally realized that my milk flow was to slow for him and he would get frustrated and then fall asleep. The compressions really help and I also switch nurse (feed him from both breasts multiple times during the feeding). Now he eats well and he's alot happier inbetween feedings. I'm sorry that I'm just repeating what everyone said already but I just wanted you to know it's fixable and you're not alone.