Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby #3 but still have qn's!

Default Baby #3 but still have qn's!

Hi, My ds will be 2wks old tomorrow. He is my third child, but I still have bf'ing questions!! I bf dd1 (now 3.5yrs) until she was 25mo and dd2 (now 23mo) until she was 17mo. I had quite a few problems starting out bf'ing dd1 so I guess I will always be a bit worried about things! Had different feeding issues with dd2 too. When I started bf'ing dd2 I was still nursing dd1 once per day, so I know that changed things a bit. Anyway, I was wondering if it's normal not to leak milk? I remember with dd1 when I was having showers etc, I would notice milk leaking, but have not noticed that this time at all. My breast pads also do not seem to be getting soaking or anything. Like I don't think that when he's feeding on one side, that the other side is leaking. Also, I am wondering whether ds is getting enough milk... he seems to be very efficient if he is... I think he's gaining heaps of weight, but have not had him accurately weighed (midwife left his nappy and singlet on, then just estimated how much those weighed!). She will weigh him again tomorrow. He was 4.010kg born, was 3.8kg on discharge from hospital (3 days old) then at 8 days was around about 4.2kg. He also goes a long time between feeds... I am now often waking him up after 4hrs. This evening he did a 2hr break, but this is unusual for him. It's now been 3hrs again, and he's still sleeping. Because he's a bit bigger, my midwife said not to worry about waking him earlier than that. My dd's were both quite a bit smaller than him. He is in cloth nappies, and they are always really wet (we change them each feed time, so about 6/7 wet nappies per 24hrs). Seems to have plenty of poopy nappies too, not every nappy, but most. So he isn't having the 8 feeds in 24hrs that LLL say he should be (he used to, but his feeds are spacing out more), so that's another thing to worry about. I guess when he's weighed tomorrow that will put my mind at ease (or not!). Oh yes, and one more thing - his latch doesn't seem to be the greatest - like not a really wide mouth. It feels ok (well, when it starts to feel not ok, I'll usually take him off and hope that he'll re-latch). How do I get that really wide mouthful? Anyway, thanks for any reassurance you can give!
    Last edited by deenz; September 2nd, 2007 at 02:48 PM.

Default Re: Baby #3 but still have qn's!

Quote Originally Posted by deenz View Post
    How do I get that really wide mouthful?

I had issues w/my LO only opening her mouth a tiny bit. I had to stroke the side of her cheek or tip of her nose w/my nip and as soon as she turned her head, BAM, had to shove it in quickly. Once she was on, I would have to use my thumb to gently open her mouth by pulling downward on her chin.

As for the milk issue, I don't know that I can help you there other than to say maybe your body has adjusted well already?

Sounds like you are doing well.

Default Re: Baby #3 but still have qn's!

Thanks Karen!

Midwife didn't weigh him at her visit today since he was sleeping, and she didn't want to disturb him (isn't that nice!) but she's coming back tomorrow morning when he'll hopefully be awake, and if not I think I'll just wake him anyway. Will be one week since his last weigh which will be a good time frame.

He's also had a few closer-together feeds in the last 24hrs, so I feel more at ease! I've not had to wake him at all, which generally means he feeds better since he woke himself and is more wide awake.