Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning off breast shield issues

Default Weaning off breast shield issues

Thanks to much help from the pros at my local LLL meeting, I was able to wean my lo off of the breast shields about a week ago. She is 5 weeks old. I was using them because of latch issues (inverted/flat nipples).

Things were going great until a few days ago when she started fussing at the end of each feeding. She would pull on my nipple (ouch!), and cry painfully (kicking), then once she calmed down want to feed more. Sometimes she would be fine right after feeding, but then 15-30 minutes later would start crying as if in pain, and act hungry again. So I would feed her again.

I thought at first she was going through a growth spurt, but now I think I might have overactive letdown... She gulps and makes a clicking noise when on the breast, and my letdowns are now painful after she first latches on, which never was the case with the shields, and from what I can tell she's latching correctly, because the pain subsides after a few minutes.

If it is overactive letdown, could this be causing her gas or reflux, resulting in pain? I give her mylicon drops but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Right now I'm working on just using one breast per feeding and she doesn't seem AS fussy. Is there anything else I can do? I don't want to deplete my supply unnecessarily.

I'm at my wits end because she's not sleeping well as a result.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Weaning off breast shield issues

Hi there and congrats on getting off the shield!

As far as oald causing additional gas, it can. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about oald except remove and unlatch them at the onset of a let down. then relatch. Even if you have less milk, it is still going to come out at the same speed. Many babies learn to cope with it in time, and I expect you will find this out yourself. While it is new, it is uncomfortable to deal with, but it does get better.

I'm also thinking about the age, and how at around this age they are learning how to deal with gas discomfort. The physiology of passing gas is learned, and while they are learning they over strain and push too hard. It can make it look worse than it is. All babies go through this period, and it doesn't last.