Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: should i wait for the first tooth?

Default should i wait for the first tooth?

my son tyren (TEER-en) is now 6months (on the 8th) and showing signs of being ready to try solids, except that he doesn't have any teeth yet. i remember from LLL meetings that the 3 signs are: grabbing at food, sitting up, and have at least one tooth. something about enzymes for digestion that
    they don't get til they get that first tooth?

well there's no sign yet of a first tooth...although i keep swearing he's teething, the way he chews on things and drools...but still nothing. so i'm wondering, should i continue to wait for that tooth? or is it ok to try something now?

i'm not really in a hurry or anything...just curious if i should continue to wait? there are allergies in our family...my dh had severe food allergies as a baby and child. pretty much everything caused some sort of reaction in him. (although maeven has never showed an inkling of an allergy and i have no food allergies either) so delaying further wouldn't be a bad idea, i know. but tyren's so funny, that longing look he has when watching us eat. i know its not about eating, but just curiosity over what we're doing, but its just so different from maeven, who didn't ever eat more than a bite or 2 of baby food ever (she did the shudder and the yuck face if i offered her any, LOL! too funny), and didn't really eat regular food regularly til maybe 2yrs. this little fat guy looks like he's going to really enjoy food! he's already so different than his sister. ya never know, though, he might prove me wrong. anyway...

LLL leaders, and you knowledgable mamas...what do you think?

--

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:|:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:|:-
    -:|:- ((¸¸.·´*

Tina,
    Wife to Adam since '99, Mommy to Maeven (11/00), Baelin (fullterm
    stillborn 4/04) and Tyren (TEER-en, 7/05)
    www.mommychats.com
    www.tinasmagiccottage.com
    www.fresnofamily.com

Default Re: should i wait for the first tooth?

cann't hurt to wait
    since your hubby has problems with foods!
    don't let others try and talk you into something that you don't want to do.

Hi Tina,
    Sounds like you being very thoughtful about offering solids to your ds-and rightly so! With the food allergies your husband suffered, caution is warranted. The signs of readiness for solids do include: the ability to sit up with support, a fading of the tongue-thrust reflex, increase in saliva production, the ability to pick up food and put it in his mouth, a readiness to chew shown by the ability to transfer foods from front to back of mouth, and an increased demand to nurse (after age 6 months).

Many babies are ready for solids and eat them very well before the eruption of their first teeth. We typically associate this with the six month mark, because so many babies do get teeth around that time. You will hear or read this from time to time. But many babies get first teeth closer to the end of the first year and show all other signs of readiness around the mid-year mark. Babies can disintegrate and gum down foods with saliva and those hard molars that are well below the gums-and do just fine, with the biting teeth emerging or even without them.

As you probably know, during the first year of life, complementary foods should be just that: complementary. Your milk should still be the main source of your ds's nutrition. So if you choose to begin offering him some foods to try, you of course would want to give him the opportunity to decide by offering very small non-chokable finger foods and avoiding filling him up with prepared baby foods which you must spoon-feed to him. This way he can choose what he wants to eat and when, practice the pinscer grasp and still nurse enough to get his main nutrition from you and keep up your milk supply.

Because of the history of food allergies in your family, you can still choose to offer him some foods, while avoiding all of the highly allergenic ones. Bottom line is you will know better than anyone when your son is ready. And if you make an informed choice at this point, now that he is past the mid-year mark (avoiding all highly allergenic foods) he should be fine. The following article will give more info. Good luck and happy eating!

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMayJun99p86.html

Hope this helps!

I can second what Kate said, only I was told that the baby should be able to sit up without support. The teeth are a "lesser" sign as that can be variable. My first two didn't get their first teeth until around their 1st birthday.

Also "showing interest" could be just grabbing at a shiny spoon. Make sure he's really interested in the food and not just the impliments or what you're doing.

Definately get an anti-allergen list. Mine worked like a charm, avoiding all the vomit, rashes and digestive issues my first had. Remember that some foods are toted, sometime even as "first" foods, like peas, sweet potatoes, white patatoes and avocados are really big allergens. I even read on whole grain rice that it was a "perfect first food". Ouch! Very hard for babies to digest, although all those foods are great later on. Go by what your doctor says, not the lables.

HTH,
    Sharon
    ds 6
    dd 4
    dd almost 2

how do i know when the tongue thrust is gone without offering food?

he sits fine by himself now. he won't be able to feed himself well yet tho...his aim and coordination isn't there yet. he stares intently at me when i eat and grabs everything within reach (especially hair, yowch!) tough to know if its food or just anything within reach that he is interested in.

i'm not in a hurry, just wondering. i'll talk to my mil and get a list of foods my dh was allergic to and try to avoid them. i know dairy was one. but he doesn't react to it in my milk, thankfully, cuz i can't live without cheese and ice cream! LOL!

I agree that especally since you have a family history of alergies it would probably be a good idea to wait (be assuered, your milk is still perfect and complete for his nutritional needs) and when you do start choose non-alegenic foods such as pears, turkey, and rice, and go slowly leaving a few days btwn each new food introduced.

Also, teeth are not really a sign of readiness for solids at all imo since some babies (including the baby of a friend of mine) are born with teeth, while others don't cut thier first until they are 12 mo. On LLL's website, the faq on intro'ing solids doens't even mention teeth in the listed signs of readiness: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

I honestly never heard to wait for the first tooth.

I just thought it was wait until 6 mos./ thrust reflex gone/showing interest in your food...shows how much different info. is out there.

To answer your question: tongue thrust reflex is gone when you put something (like your finger) in the baby's mouth and he doesn't immediately stick out his tongue. It is more apparent when the tongue thrust reflex isn't gone, when a baby is being fed with a spoon or small bits of food and pushes them back out. (I know, not the answer you were looking for!)

You mentioned he likes to grab and mouth objects. Sometimes babies at this stage are completely happy with a plastic spoon or sippy cup with water. Like Sharon said, it may just be the implements he is interested in!

Good luck,

I too had never heard that you need to wait for the first tooth - and my eldest daughter didn't get her first tooth til 17m! So it would have been a long time with no solids for her!!