Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much should LO drink now?

Default How much should LO drink now?

So my LO is 9 1/2 months and he is starting to take to solids. I was wondering how much breast milk a baby this age should be drinking. I keep hearing that there need for milk will lessen as they get more solids and get older. But what does that really mean in terms of ounces? It would certainly help me since I'm getting tired of pumping six times a day. Reducing even a session would be great!
    Proud mother to Xavier Brian

Default Re: How much should LO drink now?

Hello! Are you exclusively pumping or pumping in additon to breastfeeding? About how much solids is he taking per day?

According to the booklet our ped gave us babies should take 24-32 oz BM until 12 months and after 12 months it is 16oz of BM or whole milk. Starting at 9 months, if your baby is eating solids well you can start giving him only 24-25 oz of BM (if you are exclusively pumping) and gradually decrease it to 16 oz over the next 3 months as you give him more solids.

Wow! Pumping 6 times a day seems like A LOT!!! Yikes!!

If you have good supply and no problem pumping, try a different pump like a hospital grade. When I was still working, I got down to 2-- 10 minute sessions with one of those things---they rock!!!

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie View Post
    Hello! Are you exclusively pumping or pumping in additon to breastfeeding? About how much solids is he taking per day?
    I'm exclusively pumping. He eats oatmeal with breastmilk. He has a stage 2 for lunch. Then for dinner depending on his appetite. He will have another stage 2 and half a stage 2 fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
    Wow! Pumping 6 times a day seems like A LOT!!! Yikes!!

If you have good supply and no problem pumping, try a different pump like a hospital grade. When I was still working, I got down to 2-- 10 minute sessions with one of those things---they rock!!!

Good Luck!
    two minutes. That's amazing. I have a Medela PISA. I only have two more months to go but I think I will invest in a hosptial grade pump in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    According to the booklet our ped gave us babies should take 24-32 oz BM until 12 months and after 12 months it is 16oz of BM or whole milk. Starting at 9 months, if your baby is eating solids well you can start giving him only 24-25 oz of BM (if you are exclusively pumping) and gradually decrease it to 16 oz over the next 3 months as you give him more solids.
    Thanks for the info. He drinks about 28 oz on average.