Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hiccups and Latch

Default Hiccups and Latch

My LO is one week and I am just wondering how normal it is to have the hiccups? He won't burp, just falls back to sleep after he is done. (which doesn't take long 3-5 minutes, maybe). Is there anyway to get him to burp and not have the hiccups and also to keep him latched on longer? He seems to be a VERY sleepy baby and will sleep through feeding sessions, but does have enough dirty and wet diapers. Just wondering if there was something I could do???

Default Re: Hiccups and Latch

It's fairly normal for babies to have the hiccups. I never did anything, just let them pass. My cousin, however, uses what's called "gripe water". She gives her a few drops and they go away. I think her doctor told her about it. Does anyone else use that?
    Kelly

I used gripe water for the hiccups and it did work, at your LO's age 1/2 tsp is the recommended dosage.

OMG I think Gripe Water should be called Gold Water. It works every time DD gets the hiccups. It's all natural so I don't feel bad if I use it every couple of days. It has ginger, fennel and I think cammomile (sp?) I keep it in the fridge and when DD gets the hiccups and they don't go away before they start to really p**s her off I give her a dropper full and *poof* they are gone. I use them way more than Mylicon drops. In fact I'm on my 2nd bottle and DD is almost 3 months. You can get it almost anywhere, grocery store, walgreens, places like that. Cost is usually around $10.
    Kristie
    Wife to Chris 11/09/02
    Mommy to Kaycee Elaine 6/15/07
    with baby girl Emily Taylor due 8/08/09

DS gets the hiccups a lot, and used to get them sometimes 10 times a day when he was a newborn! I never used gripe water, but learned that a few swigs out of the ol' boob will kill the hiccups.

He understands this now and will always nurse for a bit to kill the hiccups!

BM or gripe water seems to be the answer!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I have never heard of Gripe water, my 15 week old gets hiccups 2-3 times a day still and I just nurse her through them. Also she rarely burps after nursing, which from what I have have read about bfing baby and burping it is normal for them not to need to burp as often due to the breast not passing air into the belly. Though she thinks it is hilarious if I am nursing her and I get the hiccups, I can't get her to stop giggling long enough to nuse and have to wait it out.

I always just nursed him to get his hiccups go away My boy had hiccups while he was in the womb lol, he STILL gets them a lot. It's normal

Quote Originally Posted by DBassett View Post
    I always just nursed him to get his hiccups go away My boy had hiccups while he was in the womb lol, he STILL gets them a lot. It's normal
    Ditto on the nursing to make them go away! DD had hiccups in the womb as well. I think they bother me now more than they bother her. I've heard of gripe water for all kinds of tummy issues but they don't sell it in the states so I have never tried it.
    Jackie

"Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don't decide how much and how deeply to love--you respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want."
    ~ Marni Jackson"

gripe water is available in the states. I bought some at an indian grocery.

J

When Lydia was newborn had so many times hiccups. The solution was nursing her again. That's what my dr suggested and worked perfect. i didn't want to interfere water or other liquids. Nyrsing