Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spitting up alot

Default Spitting up alot

well for the past week or so my DD has been spitting up alot! she has reflux and she has been on Prevacid for a while (we try Zantac first and that did nothing). IT seems like everytime she eats she spits up afterwards (we have not had this problem in a while). She is 14 weeks old now and I'm sord of thinking the next step would be to add a little cereal in with pumped bottles since both of my sister's had these same problems with their babies and that was their next step. I am planning on calling the pedi monday morning to see what they say I can do next whether it's changing meds again or whatever else... I know it's nothing different that I've eaten cause I'm still pretty much eating the same stuff. Has anyone had any experience with reflux that sord of resolved itself then came back around 3 months?

Default Re: Spitting up alot

Are you getting a good burp after each feeding?

If my dd doesn't burp, she WILL eventually spit up. I'm sure you are, but just wanted to throw that out there.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I second what Christy said. I had to burp DD every 2 minutes or up would come everything.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

I don't know if Prevacid works the same way as Zantac, but my dd is 3 months old and is on Zantac and we have to get her dosage increased every once in awhile as she gains weight. Apparently the dosage is based on their weight and isn't as effective if you don't periodically get the dosage increased.

My twins are on Prilosec instead of Previcid, but they work the same way. Just like the PP every growth spurt or significant weight gain they had to have the dosage increased. I would check with your ped. to make sure the dosage is correct for your lo weight.

Eventually as they grow out of reflux, the dosage is reduced as you wean them off the medicine (worked for dd, but ds had to go back on the prilosec).

Good Luck. You may also want to check out the reflux website (www.reflux.org). We got some great advice for living with kids with GERD there.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

Quote Originally Posted by hundley View Post
    She is 14 weeks old now and I'm sord of thinking the next step would be to add a little cereal in with pumped bottles
    we tried the cereal in the bottles. a complete nightmare. We had to poke bigger holes in the nipples so the cereal could come through. the holes were either too big or too small & it was a mess. The cereal is supposed to hold down the milk. Once we got the holes figured out somewhat, we did the cereal but then my lo became constipated for several days at a time. We gave up the cereal thing.

When I had my complete meltdown w/the Dr & LC, we got my LO on Axid AND I cut dairy completely and that did the trick. Turned out that the spit up was more of a dairy issue than reflux (she was having cottage cheese consistency spit up ).

We just went back for her 4m checkup & the Dr is keeping her on Axid and me off dairy but we didn't up her dose to match her weight. Instead, she'll outgrow the dosage and eventually we'll wean her off the Axid that way.

My Lola is on Zantac, which as you said, is doing nothing. She spits up ALL the time, and feeds ALL THE TIME! Ive read that they arent ready for solids until at least 4 months. They can still spit it up and then aspirate it, causing even greater problems. Furthermore, adding cereal too early, can cause them to nurse less, thereby decreasing your supply.

She also has had cottage cheese looking spit up but most of the time it's just really watery!! She also is teething and congested still so maybe all this together is causing the spit-ups to become more frequent. I will go tomorrow to see the doc but I decided I will not start the cereal if he recommends it till she is over 4 months. Alot of research says that this really doesn;t help. Hopefully we'll figure out a better solution than the prevacid!