Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where is my milk today?

Default Re: Where is my milk today?

Why are you concerned about your DD not getting enough hind milk? Her feeding habbits as you discribed them sound normal, and she has a good ammount of wet/dirty diapers. Also, you mentioned that you only offer the other breast if she is screaming, but why not just offer it everytime? Just wondering if I missed something?

I read some where to help w/OALD was to only offer on side per feeding. She is much happier with two breasts.

I would just think that if she only nursed one side, you would have to nurse alot more times a day? I just know that I love it when DD nurse both sides because that means that I have longer between feedings

I'm glad you're finding the support you need on this forum. Here are some comments on your post:

My real concern now with her behavior is ~ is she getting hind milk? She will nurse like a wild animal and come up for air after about 10 - 14 gulps and go at it again. But after about 15min she slows down and falls asleep still latched and takes a suck here and there or just unlatches herself.
    If you let her nurse for as long as she wants she will get the hind milk, some babies nurse more quickly than others, so don't worry if she's done after 15min.

I do my best to comfort her but if she is really screaming then give it to her. She takes it for about 5 - 10 min and then passes out.
    Some babies need to feed on both sides, some are happy on just one. Sounds like your little one needs to feed a bit more, as you say, and then goes to sleep. I don't know about overactive letdown, but if your baby needs to feed more maybe offer the same breast? That's something to ask an LLL leader.

Plus, I do not like clingy(sp) kids. I had the cords cuts at birth and I do not want them growing back....KWIM. My niece and two nephews were bf and so clingy to their moms to the point it drove me crazy. My kids are pretty independant to some point and I love it. My sils are all asking me what did I do to make them independant. I tell them they were not attached to me at the breast all day for a year and made them do things for themselves. (different story) I am just afraid this is the kid that will be attached to me and I will never be able to cut the apron strings when time comes.
    Do you feel a bit unsure about breastfeeding because you fear it may contribute to your child being clingy? My impression is that this is a very common concern from many moms, and that it arises from the importance of independence in our western society. It doesn't help that breastfeeding, especially in terms of years, is not the norm. A different way to look at this issue is that independence is something children learn very gradually, from the moment they are born. Humans are born very immature and need constant care especially in the first year. Breastfeeding you child will not make him dependent on you for ever, he'll gradually need to feed less and less until he's weaned, and yes, it will happen on its own if you want to do it that way (it's called self-weaning). He will not spend the whole year attached to you, breastfeeding frequency usually decreases as time goes by especially when baby starts solids around 6 months. If you would like to learn more about these issues, I can recommend the LLL website, and others like www.naturalchild.org or www.kellymom.com, or you can post your concerns here and many moms will be happy to share their experiences.

Thanks for the tips I have been thinking about a sling or wrap but to find a good one at a good price is hard. The slings in the store scream me with the new finding of them coming unlatched. I will surf ebay for a wrap or something I can use.
    [/QUOTE]
    I think one of the cheapest is the wrap from calinbleu (www.calinbleu.com) but I'm not sure if they're only in Europe. Or you can make your own, as other post said, this is a good link for that
    http://www.thebabywearer.com/lists/Sewing.htm

Take care,