Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is my milk today?

Default Where is my milk today?

Okay, I have been on the fence about stopping and then yesterday I had new hope.

Last night and this morning were far from easy. I nursed dd2 all day yesterday except one bottle. She nursed last night from 130am until 10am every hour on the hour and for only a few minutes here and there up to 15min. Now, my breasts hurt my nipple hurt more and they are so flabby still. I took my shower and there was no let down. I normally leak like and old faucet after my warm showers. Today nothing.

I am still on the fence. I can not find anyone to come to my house to help me. I can not afford the $100+ for a lc to come to my house or me to her office. LLL can not find anyone in my area and my new found hope from yesterday is gone gone GONE.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on with me? I go from OALD to nothing in 24hrs. I mean I was a little proud of myself yesterday. I went to Walmart without bottles and when she woke to eat I made my way to the front of the store to sit and feed her while dh finished the shopping. Then I wondered what on earth will I do when I am alone. Then it hit me...I will not be going to the stores or out with just the kids and I ever again. Well that did not make me happy. FF or bf I am stuck at home with all three kids.

Anywho, dh ordered a nice big thunderstorm for me...so I am going to enjoy a cup of coffee and watch the rain and pray dd2 keeps sleeping or I will be crying with her.

Default Re: Where is my milk today?

Can you take fenugreek, or mothers milk tea? I have also heard that oatmeal will help. Could LO be going through a growth spurt. It sounds that way to me with wanting to eat so often. During growth spurts, I get to the point that I think nothing is comming out (even trying to express), but somehow the kids are able to get it out of me.

As for going out... it does get better.

Just try to relax, I have found the more stressed and worried I am the less milk I produce.

If you have to supplement with formula it is not the end of the world. Remember that any milk is better than no milk.

Try to keep a positive outlook, and it will get better
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

I just pumped to see what is up with my supple. I got 1oz per breast and the last time I pumped about a week ago or so I got 2oz per breast. Should I still be relaxed? I mean I know why she screams for more after one side.

not much advice here..but I agree with NancyG about the spurt.
    but if I remember from a previous post, your dd is about 3 weeks or so right??
    She is prime for the 3 week growth spurt, which could be the explanation for the constant nursing. I remember being so frustrated at this time, especially since I didnt know a thing about growth spurts (I'm you do, as you have other children-i do not)
    If this is the case, dont worry about your supply!! She is not nursing because she is not getting enough so to speak, but she is just going through a spurt and it takes a lot to help her grow!!

Drink lots and lots of water, milk, juice etc. Oatmeal is an excellent way of boosting your supply, so maybe having some oatmeal for breakfast?

Pumping is not a good indicator of your supply, as your child is much more efficient in getting the milk out than a pump is. If you are stressed, dehydrated you will not pump very much.

I am sorry you are struggling, I know it took us a good 2-3 weeks to get this breastfeeding thing down. I hope I am not sounding critical, I am just thinking of things off the top of my head! I wish you lots of luck!!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I agree w/ pp my milk supply has also dropped over night BUT she nursed every 2-3 hrs last night and today. I usually pump about 4 oz off each breast in the early AM and this morning I barely got 2! I think my dd may also be in a mini growth spurt! Good luck and rememeber to try to rest and drink lots of fluids this tends to help!

Quote Originally Posted by mom23cuties View Post
    I nursed dd2 all day yesterday except one bottle.
    Congratulations!

She nursed last night from 130am until 10am every hour on the hour and for only a few minutes here and there up to 15min. Now, my breasts hurt my nipple hurt more and they are so flabby still. I took my shower and there was no let down. I normally leak like and old faucet after my warm showers. Today nothing.
    About how many wet and poopy diapers has your baby had since the frequent nursing began?

Are you eating and drinking enough? Resting? Are you taking any medications?

You might find this information reassuring:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/normal.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/breast-fullness.html (non-LLL resource)

I am still on the fence. I can not find anyone to come to my house to help me. I can not afford the $100+ for a lc to come to my house or me to her office. LLL can not find anyone in my area and my new found hope from yesterday is gone gone GONE.

Can you tell us more about your specific breastfeeding concerns?

If you would like, you could PM me your location and I can try to locate a Leader near you.

Some IBCLCs work on a sliding scale (fee based on your income). I would suggest calling several in your area and see if anyone offers this service.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on with me? I go from OALD to nothing in 24hrs.
    I know it seems that way, but you might find it comforting to know that it's not possible for your milk to completely disappear in one day--especially since you were removing milk frequently.

I mean I was a little proud of myself yesterday. I went to Walmart without bottles and when she woke to eat I made my way to the front of the store to sit and feed her while dh finished the shopping. Then I wondered what on earth will I do when I am alone. Then it hit me...I will not be going to the stores or out with just the kids and I ever again. Well that did not make me happy. FF or bf I am stuck at home with all three kids.
    That's not the case at all! There's no reason for you to be stuck at home. You can absolutely nurse on the go while caring for your older children! Have you considered nursing in a sling or wrap? That might make it easier to keep up with your older children while you're out and about! Hopefully, other mothers will come along and share what makes going out on the town possible for them.

I just pumped to see what is up with my supple. I got 1oz per breast and the last time I pumped about a week ago or so I got 2oz per breast. Should I still be relaxed? I mean I know why she screams for more after one side.
    Pump output is NOT a good indicator of milk production.

What do you do when she screams after one side? Have you considered burping her, then putting her on the other side? You can repeat the process until your baby is satisfied. The breast is never truly empty, and as long as your baby is actively sucking, she will get milk for her efforts. If she seems unhappy with the flow, you could always try breast compressions to bring down more milk.

I have to admit I have been really really bad with my water intake the past few days. I have been so down in the dumps about bf worried about the week dh goes back to work.

My mom called and is my third biggest supporter (Dh first and dd1 2nd) and told me stressing over feeding her and stressing over dh going to work will lower my supply. Now she never bf but she has been reading and researching and talking to nurses. I love her. She even bought my pump for me; which I love and miss.

Anywho, I would have never thought of oatmeal as something to help keep my supply going...just the thought makes me want to break open my maple syrup and brown sugar. Does instant stuff work or does it have to be the stove top stuff?

Dh thinks it is great I am here almost every day talking to ya'all with my questions and emotions and stuff. I have no one to talk to about bf and everyone has been super supportive and honest.

Thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie View Post
    About how many wet and poopy diapers has your baby had since the frequent nursing began?
    She has about 12 or more wet diapers and about 8 poop diapers some days way way more

Are you eating and drinking enough? Resting? Are you taking any medications?
    I am eating, but not very well. I am a stress eater so it is usually juke food and sweets. As for drinking no I am not drinking enough or at least the right stuff. I have been drinking about 2 glasses of water and then root beer, a glass of juice and I have been sneaking in a glass of milk.

Resting is the funniest thing anyone asked me...LOL I have not had a good night sleep in about four weeks. I moved and then two weeks later had my c/s. I sleep in my recliner for fear of not being able to get out of bed to get dd2. Also, she has this thing where she has to be held while sleeping or she will wake. Heaven forbid if I put her down she wakes and then nurses again.

I am taking pain pills, but not as many was I was three weeks ago. Twice a day tops and today I think I took zero as of now. I am dealing with the pain as much as possiable since my breasts and nipples hurt way more.

Can you tell us more about your specific breastfeeding concerns?
    My real concern now with her behavior is ~ is she getting hind milk? She will nurse like a wild animal and come up for air after about 10 - 14 gulps and go at it again. But after about 15min she slows down and falls asleep still latched and takes a suck here and there or just unlatches herself. She is gaining that is for sure. She was 7lbs at birth and 6lb 8oz or so when she left the hospital and at her last ped appt. she was 7lbs and 4oz I did a lot of supplementing the week before her ped appt. due to being so tired and sore from the c/s she got about 8oz formula a day tops. Ped. said that was great and I do what I have to do get well and keep her well.

My only other concern is will I be able to bf and take care of the other two kids and the house like I did before she was born. When I was pg I was nonstop all day until nap time (that is when my head was not in the toilet puking) and then nonstop until 9pm. Now, I have all I can do to muster up the energy to care about life, a shower, or cleaning. How on earth can I take care of my kids with dd2 attached to me.

Plus, I do not like clingy(sp) kids. I had the cords cuts at birth and I do not want them growing back....KWIM. My niece and two nephews were bf and so clingy to their moms to the point it drove me crazy. My kids are pretty independant to some point and I love it. My sils are all asking me what did I do to make them independant. I tell them they were not attached to me at the breast all day for a year and made them do things for themselves. (different story) I am just afraid this is the kid that will be attached to me and I will never be able to cut the apron strings when time comes.

If you would like, you could PM me your location and I can try to locate a Leader near you.
    I live in Davenport Florida just outside of Orlando Florida (15 min from Disney) and I have had no luck so if you have luck finding a Leader I will happily send you more information.

I know it seems that way, but you might find it comforting to know that it's not possible for your milk to completely disappear in one day--especially since you were removing milk frequently.
    I am so glad it can not just dry up in a day. I know it took me a few days to dry up after my first two kids.

What do you do when she screams after one side? Have you considered burping her, then putting her on the other side? You can repeat the process until your baby is satisfied. The breast is never truly empty, and as long as your baby is actively sucking, she will get milk for her efforts. If she seems unhappy with the flow, you could always try breast compressions to bring down more milk.
    I do my best to comfort her but if she is really screaming then give it to her. She takes it for about 5 - 10 min and then passes out.

Thanks for the tips I have been thinking about a sling or wrap but to find a good one at a good price is hard. The slings in the store scream me with the new finding of them coming unlatched. I will surf ebay for a wrap or something I can use.

Oatmeal works wonders. I just have the instant stuff and eat it every morning for breakfast. I've heard you can also eat oatmeal cookies or oatmeal cereal bars with same effect although I never tried it.

My supply dips during growth spurt time, and then I always drink Mother's Milk tea (I found it in the health food section at grocery store). I always get that saggy boob feeling the day after DS nurses a ton and it does take a few days for my supply to adjust to his needs.

Definately keep drinking enough water, too!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thank you I will ^_~ funny thing is just the other day I was looking at oatmeal....weird post pg craving.

That's not the case at all! There's no reason for you to be stuck at home. You can absolutely nurse on the go while caring for your older children! Have you considered nursing in a sling or wrap? That might make it easier to keep up with your older children while you're out and about! Hopefully, other mothers will come along and share what makes going out on the town possible for them.
    I would recommend a ring sling (google Maya Wrap). The "tail" end is great as a nursing cover. I went shopping for most of the day today and used my new ring sling. I could nurse hands-free! It was really fun to get out and have more freedom. My son is SO happy in a sling. It makes my job a lot easier - no fussy baby!

Some people can wear a baby and a toddler at the same time. That might help too - if your back can take it!

If you are a sewer, or know someone who can sew, the instructions for making one are right on the Maya Wrap website.

If you are interested more in slings and babywearing, there is a separate forum section for it.