Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When can I start giving table foods?

Default When can I start giving table foods?

DD is 7 1/2 mos now and has no allergies. I want to know when I can put what we are eating for dinner in her food mill, example: spaghetti with sauce, meats, things with spices, etc. So far, she has had the following with no reactions:

rice cereal
    oatmeal
    barley cereal
    banana
    avocado
    applesauce
    peaches
    pears
    blueberries
    sweet potato
    squash
    carrots
    peas
    green beans
    plain whole wheat pasta
    Cheerios
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Default Re: When can I start giving table foods?

When our son developed a pincer grasp, we started letting him self-feed solids.

At about 8 months, I think it was, we started giving small bits of our food to try and watching carefully for reactions. I try to separate out some of the food for him before adding seasoning. Spices I think are ok, unless they are too hot.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

I am with pp - as soon as my daughter started directing her own spoon to her mouth, I started with table foods. Herbs and spices are fine, but watch out for salt. It is in most of the foods we eat as adults, but not so good for babies. I am VERY careful about ingredients in general, and steer clear of almost all additives and preservatives. As a result, my whole house is eating healthier!

At 10 months now, she eats whole grain waffles (watch out for cottonseed oil on the ingredient list - its practically poison), organic wg bread, french toast, scrambled eggs, bananas, pears, steamed zucchini, broccoli, carrots and peas, baked sweet potato, haddock, turkey breast (all natural only), cannelini beans, hummus, cheese and Yo Baby yogurt. Occasionally I bake something from scratch, like banana bread or zucchini bread, and I give her these things too. She's had ice cream twice and lemon Italian ice a few times on hot days, when I am eating it I give her tastes.

Introducing foods has been so fun - she does great and doesn't even have any teeth yet! :0

I have always made my own baby food usually out of what I fix for dinner. I will do my sons before a lot of spices are added etc. But then again he still really could care less about eating sometimes...lol. I did give him 1 pea the other day to see what he would do and he made into his mouth so I am going to start trying to give him peas without them being mashed up and that kind of thing in the next couple of weeks I think. I really don't know the rule of thumb with both my kids I have just watched them to see if they seemed ready and of course sat right beside them to make sure they didn't choke.

I'm pretty sure my daughter was eating things like spaghetti and meatballs by the time she was 8-9 months old. I know that at 6 months she started meats that had been put thru the food processor, but I think I was giving her meat that I just cut into small pieces by the time she was 9 months. Hope that helps!

my son did meals that i had put in the food processor till about 9 months. i started out making them really mushy and every once in a while we would evaluate how well he was chewing and then mash or process a little less for the next meal if we thought he could handle it. we went on vacation when he was 9 months old and that's when he decided he wanted to eat what we were eating. he's never turned back. like another poster said, it's made us change our eating habits quite a bit. we've never had a problem given him spicy food. he loves curries! we just minimize salt and make sure he gets a wide variety of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and pulses. i would say follow your lo's lead. i'm sure she'll let you know when she's ready. btw, i think it's awesome you're giving your friend's baby your ebm! what a fantastic friend you are.