Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peanut Butter

Default Peanut Butter

When can they have it? I remember the peds saying no peanuts because of choking but we have no peanut allergies so I was wondering if she can have peanut butter. She's staring down my peanut butter and jelly bagel.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Thumbs down Re: Peanut Butter

We have no family history of any food allergies...gave 26 month old son peanut butter...HELLOOO...allergic reaction. (Not severe -- he's okay ). When we took him to doc's office to check this out a few days later, we saw nurse practitioner whose daughter has many food allergies, so obviously quite knowledgable about this in real life and in practice. She said she is now telling people to not try peanut butter until age 3 -- "their little immune systems just can't handle it." So, if I were you I wouldn't do it yet. There are lots of things in life worth waiting for --- like peanut butter!

Default Re: Peanut Butter

Even with out a history of allergies, it's best to wait until after the year point. And then even then...some stuff waits to show it's self as a problem. If she's over a year, you can give her some peanut butter to taste.

Examples of things manifesting later....DJ always gets a nasty welty diaper rashy thing on his Bum if he's fed citrus for more than one day in a row. He also get a rash on his face and butt this week from eating corn twice. You have to really watch what happens....

Way too lazy for formula

Personally I'd wait - but I'm coming from the perspective of just finding out about DS food allergies. I was pretty sure he'd test postive to cow milk & egg, but they tested for a variety of things and he's also tested positive for things like tree nuts. Food allergies are pretty scary. Its not fun to watch your LO get sick from something you gave them to eat.

It's a pain - but since DS wants to have some of whatever DH and I are eating, we've decided to modify our diets and when DS is around only eat things DS can have.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I've also heard that if your child has had eczema to wait until 3.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

I gave my son peanut butter at 14 months. So far so good. But we have no history of allergies.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Thanks everyone. I have to admit that she tasted some of it...turn your back for one second. No reaction, but I don't think I'll be serving her PB&J anytime soon.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

We gave small tastes around 11 months. He eats PB&J sandwhiches at 16 months now. I don't give it to him more than 2x a week. Its funny that in some places its preached "no PB until 3 or 2" and yet at our daycare, it is a regular snack for all the kids (PB and graham crackers)
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Our ped. Allergist said that he recc children not be introduced to peanut products until they are at least 2 (regardless of hx of allergies). He is probably being conservative but we're going to follow his advice. An allergy to PB may be relatively rare but it is a scary one.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

The Vermont Country Store catalog sells Sunflower Seed butter as a substitute. I have not tried it, but I may order a jar and check it out.

I often make Hummus sandwiches for my 10 month old so that we can be on-the-go with lunch, but I really do look forward ot giving her peanut butter. Its such an easy and complete food...I eat it pretty often, myself.