Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? for those who pump...

Default ? for those who pump...

I nursed dd1 for 2 years and didn't give her a bottle b/c I was afraid she wouldn't go back to the breast. So now with dd2 I feel life is much more hectic w/ a 2 year old running about and a baby to nurse. I was thinking of pumping and offering a bottle to dd2 but I am a little hesitant about her going back to the breast. I wanted to know what kind of bottle/nipple is the most breast friendly. I looked at BRU and I feel like all the bottles say "most like the breast". She is only 6 weeks old so she doesn't need something fast flow and too I don't want her to realize how easy it is to get milk from the bottle and then not want to work for the milk on the breast. I know they can't all be that way b/c they look different, so what seems to work for you ladies who offer the bottle and the breast. I'll only offer the bottles radomly like if I am going out or want to go to the dr and leave her with my mom or dh, do they want be offered on a regular basis. Can you help? I am overwhelmed at the different types!!! Thanks!!!

Default Re: ? for those who pump...

I use the Avent bottles and haven't had any problems with my daughter going back and forth between bottle and breast. Thank goodness since I just recently went back to work and want to continue breastfeeding her.
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07

I use playtex and avent tempo.... I have never given DS a bottle myself, but my DH thinks the avent is a slower flow than the playtex (using slow flow nipples in both brands). He took a bottle and doesn't have nipple confusion. I gave him his first bottle at 4weeks...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I use Avent too, and for 7 months he had no problem going back and forth between bottle and breast. But now that he started "disliking" milk, I had to use Dr Brown as the teats are softer, so its I could get him to drink more milk that way. After he tried Dr Brown, he now refuses to drink from Avent, but luckily he is still taking my breast - but only during the nite when hes sleeping anyway...

So my advise, for your case, dont use Dr Brown.

When my little boy was having latching problems my lactation consultant recommended Second Nature. It worked out great until the tip of the nipple ripped and milk was gushing out (which we didn't realize for a day or two). That totally screwed us up with breast feeding because he was just starting to figure out how to latch with a nipple shield. First I thought it was something I did since all 3 nipple had a rip so I bought more. I was really careful when washing, but after less than a week, it ripped again. So I do NOT recommend them what so ever. But the bottle did teach my son that he needs to suck to get the milk out.
    I did some online research and came across First Years Breast Flow bottles. He now breast feeds without a nipple shield and he's been totally fine going back and forth between the new bottle and my breast.

I used the Avent bottle as well as the wide nipple on the Playtex Avance and it works well when trying to breastfeed and pump to bottlefeed.

My advice is to use a wide neck nipple with a slow flow (Stage 1). I used the Avent bottles but recently switched to the glass Born Free bottles to avoid the chemicals in the plastic bottles. Haven't had any problems. Good luck!

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

My girls use the Breast Flow bottles. Bottle feeding sessions take time (like nursing). They easily go from bottle back to breast. Their lips / suck is just like nursing.

Because of the excessive gas I tried them all and found that Dr. Browns is the best for us. SHe manages to maintain the open mouth grip so she has no problem on the nipple as well. I used medela and the contour nipple caused her to go back on the nipple with tight lips. It's amazing that there is no sucking sound with dr. browns therefore no extra air!! I'm also a HUGE fan of their pump, its different from them all!!!! Good luck

My dd loves the avent bottles. When she was little she'd cuddle it like she did the boob when dh would give her the avent bottles. You can get different flow speed nipples that fit on them. Also, the bottles fit right on the avent isis pump and you can pump right into them (I don't know if you already have a pump, but this is the one I use everyday and I love it).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous