Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: getting really tired...need advice

Default getting really tired...need advice

My LO is going to be 10 months on the 17th and for eight of those months I've been exclusivley pumping. He wasn't a good nurser and this has worked out best. I have zero intentions at this point to reintroduce the breast. He has teeth and he's not afraid to use them.

I've made small goals throughout... nurse until maternity leave...nurse until he's six months and now it's nurse until he's a year. I really don't think I can do more than that.

The problem is that I'm getting sick and tired of pumping And to make things worse now that my period is back my supply takes a dip during that "special" time of the month, which stresseds me out and makes me want to throw in the towel.

I think things would get better for me if I pumped to five times instead of my usual six. I'm concerned that my supply will take a dip.

I only have just under three months to go. Shall I reduce my pumping by one session. What have you done? I'm just getting really tired...have I said that already.
    Advice?
    Proud mother to Xavier Brian

Default Re: getting really tired...need advice

Sorry that I don't have any advice to offer, however I am in the pump through maternity leave phase. You are a great example for me . I am just trying to think about getting to 6 months.

I too set small goals for pumping - like just get through to the end of the month and then ri went to re-evaluate the routine. I was pumping 8x per day until last week when I went to 6-7x per day.

It is an exhausting 24 hr a day routine.

If you were to stop pumping would you supplement with formula or just switch to cows milk?

Good luck in your decision .

Quote Originally Posted by NY Mom 07 View Post
    Sorry that I don't have any advice to offer, however I am in the pump through maternity leave phase. You are a great example for me . I am just trying to think about getting to 6 months.

I too set small goals for pumping - like just get through to the end of the month and then ri went to re-evaluate the routine. I was pumping 8x per day until last week when I went to 6-7x per day.

It is an exhausting 24 hr a day routine.

If you were to stop pumping would you supplement with formula or just switch to cows milk?

Good luck in your decision .
    I'm going to stick to pumping for now. I would like to reduce some sessions. If I stopped, which I don't think I will since it's been so long, I would use formula. Cow's milk should be introduced after the first year.

It's hard work but it's worth it. I wish you well. It gets bothersome but I take it one day at a time. The best thing I did was set small goals so I wouldn't disappointment myself.

If you do that, you will feel like you accomplished something. The bottom line is that whatever you do it's the best decision and never second guess yourself.

Dont quit you're doing great! It would be a real pity to quit now after 8 months of hard work.

I pumped during the first month and then went to bfg. Then about 2 months ago I had to start pumping again as my baby feeds better with bottle, and is having some weight gain issue. I guess I will be pumping until his weight is back on track again, but that could be a long time. Right now my goal is to make it to 12 month (4 months to go).

So good luck to all of us ya?!

Are you introducing solids? I don't pump exclusively but I've been struggling with pumping enough during the day at work, and we decided to drop a bottle feeding and add in solids. Mine are 7 months. I plan to drop another bottle around 10 months, and the last one at a year, leaving them with 3 nursings at that point. I checked the www.kellymom.com info on how much an older baby usually drinks and they're still getting enough, and enough wet diapers. I have a friends whose baby is 11 months and she is down to nursing/pumping 4x a day. I also talked to a woman at LLL meeting who was struggling and got the ok from the ped to start mixing in cow's milk at 10 months when she came up short.

Quote Originally Posted by april213 View Post
    Are you introducing solids? I don't pump exclusively but I've been struggling with pumping enough during the day at work, and we decided to drop a bottle feeding and add in solids. Mine are 7 months. I plan to drop another bottle around 10 months, and the last one at a year, leaving them with 3 nursings at that point. I checked the www.kellymom.com info on how much an older baby usually drinks and they're still getting enough, and enough wet diapers. I have a friends whose baby is 11 months and she is down to nursing/pumping 4x a day. I also talked to a woman at LLL meeting who was struggling and got the ok from the ped to start mixing in cow's milk at 10 months when she came up short.
    He is eating solids. I was wondering if I should drop a bottle but I wasn't sure. I don't want him to get up at night because I get up at 4:30 a.m. to go to work.

I was really nervous about it too, but mine were getting a milk feeding 6x a day, which is one more than our ped thought they needed at 6 months. I normally pump 3x a day so I dropped my last pumping session where I get the least. I think they are eating a bit more when they nurse after I get home. Is there a pumping session where you don't get as much milk? Maybe if you drop that one you'll get a bit more at the session following it so he can have a little more milk in his bottle after the dropped bottle feeding, or just a couple oz if he's thirsty after solids. Oh, and mine are actually sleeping better now, I think they were ready to substitute a bottle for solids.

Quote Originally Posted by april213 View Post
    I was really nervous about it too, but mine were getting a milk feeding 6x a day, which is one more than our ped thought they needed at 6 months. I normally pump 3x a day so I dropped my last pumping session where I get the least. I think they are eating a bit more when they nurse after I get home. Is there a pumping session where you don't get as much milk? Maybe if you drop that one you'll get a bit more at the session following it so he can have a little more milk in his bottle after the dropped bottle feeding, or just a couple oz if he's thirsty after solids. Oh, and mine are actually sleeping better now, I think they were ready to substitute a bottle for solids.
    I might try that I get very little from the second session. Thanks for the input.

I EP and took it one day at a time and made it to 1 year. My goal was 3 months, then 8 months, then 1 year. I am slowly weaning off the pump now and only pump twice a day. I supplement with formula since DS has some weight he needs to gain, or else I would use cow's milk. I did drop a pumping at 8 months when DS started taking in a few solid feedings a day. Good luck - you can make it to a year!