Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping and storing during a day

Default pumping and storing during a day

Is this ok to do? I will pump and then when I am done I put it in the fridge. So later when I pump again I put that milk in the bottle that already has some bm in it. Is this ok to do? If I dont do that then my baby wont be getting much out of a feeding. I am only producing 1 oz to 1 1/2oz for the entire day.

Default Re: pumping and storing during a day

You can add fresh breast milk to refrigerated/frozen breast milk as long as it is all collected within a twenty-four hour period from the start of the first collection. Good luck!

Make sure, before you combine the milks, that they're the same temperature. If you add warm to the cold, it can go sour. I had this problem for a long time and wasted a lot of milk before figuring it out.

~Tina

Really? I've never had my milk turn sour, ever. And I add freshly expressed to cold, cold refrigerated milk all the time. Interesting...However, I did hear that if the milk goes sour, you can try scalding it.

Smile Re: pumping and storing during a day

My midwife recommended that they both be the same temperature before mixing them together.

Deb

Quote Originally Posted by superbabe621
    Really? I've never had my milk turn sour, ever. And I add freshly expressed to cold, cold refrigerated milk all the time. Interesting...However, I did hear that if the milk goes sour, you can try scalding it.
    I think that if the milk is sour, it's bad and you should throw it away. The scalding is used if your milk routintely becomes sour... that indicates you have an excess of lipase being produced. Then you can scald it after you express it, THEN refrigerate it.

Again, no idea about the sour milk thing as I still haven't had that problem yet. My son is currently 10 weeks old and he's been super healthy since birth. And I add fresh to refrigerated without warming all the time. I also sometimes refrigerate an already warmed bottle, rewarm, and feed it back to him later on in the day. No problems yet.

At any rate, here's some info on the Whittlestone Manual Expresser...

Whittlestone Manual Expresser

Whittlestone Manual Breast Expresser
    Price: $39.95

Quantity
    CFS Storage Bags, 50 ct., Add $18.95
    Free UPS Ground Shipping!
    (continental USA only)
    A breakthrough in breastfeeding technology…
    Introducting the new Whittlestone Manual Expresser -- the ultimate in milk expression. The Whittlestone Manual Expressor is the ONLY breastmilk expression device with Pulsation and One-Way Airflow:
    • Pulsation: Effective massage for nipple stimulation. Relieves painful congestion
    • One Way Airflow: Continually moving milk and air away from the breast
    What this means for you:
    • Proven speed, unmatched comfort... creating a better environment for your breast
    • PLUS.. easiest to use and clean
    Don't setttle, demand the best ... Whittlestone.
    What is an Expresser? A newer and better way to express your milk. This technology replaces all existing breast pumps on the market today.
    What makes the Expresser “a breakthrough in breastfeeding technology"? Two Things: Pulsation and One-Way Airflow
    Pulsation: Vacuum moves milk from the breast while expressing. Vacuum also causes “congestion” to form at the front of the breast, which can be very uncomfortable We designed our breast cup to gently pulsate the breast with every handle squeeze to help relieve this congestion. Pulsation is exclusive to Whittlestone.
    One-way Airflow: Our unique air-flow system does not allow material to be pushed back towards the open nipple ducts while expressing, therefore “ideal” for helping maintain a clean environment at the breast. One-way Airflow is exclusive to Whittlestone.
    Why I should care? This unique combination of Pulsation and One-Way Airflow gives you the following:
    Speed: Ultra fast, saves you time.
    Comfort: Relaxing means faster let downs. Encourages longer lactations.
    Protection: Designed to create a healthier environment at the breast.
    Are there any other benefits with the Whittlestone Expresser? Yes, there are three other important features:
    Vacuum dial: Allows you to choose your perfect comfort setting…others don't!
    Fits all breasts.
    Simple to use…easy to clean.

Ooooopppppssss!!! Sorry, wrong thread re: pump.