Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how many times can you pump during a day

Default how many times can you pump during a day

how many times can you pump during a day?? I

Default Re: how many times can you pump during a day

I pumped every three hrs in the beginning to keep milk supply up while working on latch issues. For a while I just pumped once during the day and once at night. Now during the day LO gets one boob the pump gets the other so I can build a supply for work. Hope that helps, I think what works for you and your LO and what your goals are.

I used to pump every two-three hours,no matter what.I believe the frequency of pumping depends on your goals

You should pump at least 8 times a day. So it works out to about every 3 hrs. Jip you have to wip out those girls every three hours no matter what!!!

couple of ?'s
    IS baby nursing at the breast any?
    Are you going back to work?
    Are you going to be appart from baby for long periods of time?
    Some moms find they don't have to pump much if any!

I exclusively pump and pump every 3-4 hours with one long stretch (about 5 hrs) at night. However, sometimes I still pump every 2 hrs for a day or so to give my supply a boost. HTH.

Every 3hrs like pp said, but the maximum you can pump is really up to you and how well your nipples will hold up. If you're having major supply problems you can go every 1 hr. To begin with I was nursing then pumping 8x a day, so the equivalent of 16x.

If you're nursing in addition to pumping (according to your previous posts, you are!), then pumping once or twice a day is all I would suggest. You're not needing to increase your production, but just needing to get enough milk for a day/night out. You wouldn't want to increase your production above and beyone and your needs as that could cause bfing issues, and put a damper on your birthday outing!

HTH!