Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP!!! DD no longer accepts EBM

Unhappy HELP!!! DD no longer accepts EBM

I work full time, and pump at work. My DD eating habits at Daycare have always been a bit worrisome. On a good day, she'll only take in about 10-12oz, in addition to a nursing session during lunch. Last week, we took a vacation, and she was exclusively breastfed for about 9 days. Two days before I was scheduled to go back to work, I had my DH give her a bottle, with absolutely no success. The next day, our babysitter tried the same thing, and no luck. Apparently she isn't horribly fussy or anything while I'm gone, but both times I was only away for about 4 hours. I'm worried about how things will go once she's back in daycare, also, her regular provider will be on vacation, so she will also be with a different provider. She's 4 1/2 months old, and weighs 17lbs, and is 29 inches long, so obviously, she's not starving but I'm just wondering if there are any solutions.

Default Re: HELP!!! DD no longer accepts EBM

I'm moving this to working for more replies.

Default Re: HELP!!! DD no longer accepts EBM

If you're only apart for four hours, and she doesn't take much during that time, expect her to nurse more when you're back together later that day.

10-12oz per day actually sounds pretty normal for a breastfed baby while at daycare. :-)

Once she's back in daycare full time, she may decide that she's hungry enough for a bottle after a while. You can have the provider try offering her the bottle in different positions, or while holding an item of clothing that you've worn, or even trying different bottle nipples. She's a bit young for a sippy cup, but one without a valve might work in your situation, too.

If she's hungry enough, she'll eat, eventually.

It may take several days for her to fall back into a routine, since she got such a long vacation with you. Once she notices that things are in a routine (of sorts), she'll settle down. She won't let herself starve, even if it means that you find yourself spending all evening, every evening, nursing her.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!