Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not wanting to give up, but is she getting all she needs?

Default not wanting to give up, but is she getting all she needs?

I am a new mom to a 10 week old girl. I decided early on I wanted to breast feed and I feel like we got off to a great start. She latched on right away and seemed to know what she was doing. The first two weeks were perfect with feedings and I was so proud of us.

Week 3 and on she did not gain any weight and at 4 week check up she was starting to lose the weight, we were strictly breast feeding and I was told by my doctor that I should start supplementing. I wanted to do what was best for my little girl so I started supplementing after I breast fed. This has continued and now that she is at a normal weight I want to go back to just breast feeding if I can.

I fear by doing this I will be hurting her growth and development. Not sure what to do at this point but not ready to give up just yet.

Any one else in this boat?

Default Re: not wanting to give up, but is she getting all she needs?

Could you please clarify, have you been breastfeeding all along and supplementing with formula after offering breast, or are you hoping to relactate after several weeks of only giving formula?

Just reread your post, sorry, it sounds like you have been breastfeeding all along. Maybe you could pump after feeding and try to use EBM to replace formula supplement. Also, you will need to increase the number of times you offer breast in order to stimulate more milk production. I bet you could gradually build up supply to point where you would no longer need to supplement.

if you could tell us more about her nursing pattern that would help.
    How much formula is she taking over 24 hours?
    how many times is she nursing in 24 hours?
    How many wet diapars?
    and what are her poops like?
    are you pumping how often and what kind of pump do you have.
    heres a good link from kelly moms about weaning off formula.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

don't be afraid to call your local leader she can help!

Have you tried pumping then giving her breastmilk from a bottle? That way you could tell how much she is getting. The breastmilk will help her gain weight just as well as the formula. I would say try that if you want to get away from the formula.

My first thought is to make a mom-imposed growth spurt -- meaning make your body know it's time to make more milk by feeding as often as baby will all day and night, and for as long as baby will. You probably know that babies often have these growth spurt times naturally..yes, it's exhausting, but for me, always a noticable increase in supply after a couple days. Also, pumping does not empty your breast as well as LO can, so your body may not be fully getting the "empty-fill-er-up" message. And yes, your breastmilk can be completely adequate for your baby...it has the perfect amount of fat, protien, and carbs for your LO's growth. BTW, I've also read that getting another hour of sleep can significantly help with supply.