Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

View Poll Results: Nipple shields?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • For sure! They're lifesavers!

2 20.00%
  • Sometimes they're good, sometimes not.

7 70.00%
  • No way!

1 10.00%

Thread: Nipple shields/protectors

Default Nipple shields/protectors

After bf difficulties, my 1 month old is now drinking solely pumped breastmilk. I want to get her back to the breast, but am very stressed by the amount of pain entailed, and am afraid LO won't eat well since my tension rubs off on her (and remembering how incredibly awful and horribly painful it was breastfeeding her before makes me pretty tense). I've heard that nipple shields make breastfeeding much less painful, but are inconvinient, don't increase milk supply, and are a hard habit to break the baby of... But they can't possibly be more inconvient than pumping, and I figure they're probably about the same milk-supply-and-stimulation-wise... What do you all think about nipple shields???

Default Re: Nipple shields/protectors

Just to clarify.. you were having pain b4 breastfeeding and have gone to pumping?

Have you tried to get help through your local LLL on latching on properly? Also a LC could help with the same thing, the hospital near me has meetings every Friday run by a LC and they help with issues for free at the meetings!

Usually pain is caused by a poor latch which is easily corrected. I would try that route b4 a nipple shield.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I had a really hard time with dd1. My LC reluctantly let me use a nipple shield. I was in the middle of my comps for grad school when she was born. When she was one week old I was able to pump about 2oz of milk, left her with my folks and went to take my exam. They gave her a bottle and I had a nightmare getting her back to the breast. After many tears and almost a complete hormonal breakdown in the LC's office she gave me a shield. I swear it saved us! I would use it until my milk let down and then pull her off the breast and put her back on. It helped too with the soreness. The initial latch was the worse for me early on. Just don't get too dependent on it. We used it for about a week. The skin to skin contact with the baby during nursing is good for your supply. I used it to at the beginning with dd2. My nipples for some reason were really sore this time. We used it a few times but come to find out the soreness was thrush not latch. Good luck, give the shield a try.

For me the shields were a lifesaver...

I was pumping because of terrible latch...worked with an LC to correct latch and had no luck...started with the shields and latch became PERFECT...weaned from shields within 1-2 weeks of use.

But many have had experience where they couldn't wean from the shield and found it very cumbersome to deal with.
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

See, right now I'm stuck with a pump, so I figure that the nipple shields couldn't possibly be more comubersome or inconvinient than the big ol' machine. I thought it might be an okay way to transition back to breast, but I don't really know anything about it. I haven't been able to make it to a local LLL meeting yet though. LO has a perfect latch, but we had thrush and supply problems and she was losing weight so I had to pump. Now I don't want to go back to the pain!

I used a shield with my DD in the very beginning. We had latch issues; for 4-5 days I used the shield exclusively, then weaned her off of it quickly. It totally saved us as far as bf-ing goes... I don't know if she could have learned to latch on without it. That's my 2 cents!

If your LO doesn't have latch issues, I'm not sure the shield is the way to go, but definitely check with an LC. Maybe a lot of skin-to-skin, try to nurse her when she is sleepy and will latch on a little more willingly. I hope that you can get your LO back to the breast; but great job pumping! That's hard work, too!

I had some difficulties in the beginning too and after 4 days of crack nipples and intensed pain, I quickly went to pumping my milk. I tried the shields but they never really worked for me somehow. And after 4 weeks of bottle feeding bm, I got rid of the bottles as I was determined to bf-ing my baby. This time he latched on like a pro (ok slight exaggeration.. it did take a couple of days for him to become a pro.. but no pain at all!!).

So may be you can try without the shields first and see how that goes.. Good luck!