Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: wont take formula

Unhappy wont take formula

I have to work, so I send as much ebm as I can to daycare with DS everyday. It usually ends up being about 8 ozs. I would love to be able to send a full days worth but I can't get away enough to pump at work. For the last month or so DS has been refusing formula at home and daycare (DH watches him on the weekends when I have to work). Is there any types of formula that taste better then others? (I know they all taste pretty bad and don;t really blame him for not liking it) I feel so bad for him. I don't want him to starve during the day. He gets cereal for brunch and he loves that. When is the soonest they can have cows milk? My DS is 6 months so I know it is still too early. Any tips would be a great help.

Default Re: wont take formula

Although I haven't tasted every formula on the market, I've heard that they're all far from the taste of breastmilk.

Cow's milk should be introduced after the first year, since it doesn't have a full complement of nutrients/calories/milk. Formula is much closer to breastmilk than cow's milk, nutrient-wise.

Can you add in a pumping or two during the times you're not working? Pumping one side while baby nurses on the other cacn often get you enough for another bottle.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Default Re: wont take formula

NESTLE GOODSTART!!!

I went through this with DD when she was a baby too. As a teacher I was lucky to pump once a day, so anything after that was formula. Someone on another message board recommended the Nestle Good Start & it worked! I know 2 other bf'd babies that took it as well.

Get the regular old Nestle Good Start - NOT the Supreme, with DHA's & ARA's - that makes it taste different & he's already getting the good stuff from you so it's doesn't matter! It can be a little hard to find sometimes (our walmart never had it, but I could usually find it at grocery stores).

HTH!!! Good luck!