Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Nutritional value of breastmilk after 1 year

Default Re: Nutritional value of breastmilk after 1 year

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    If you walk in and act like YOU are in control of your child's well being and have done a ton of research to back up your decisions, they will respect you and your decisions. They can't MAKE you stop breastfeeding or supplement. Just like they can't MAKE you immunize your child. There is really no such thing as "Doctors Orders". But a lot of people don't realize that. If doesn't occur to people to question or doubt what they say. But when it comes to your child, do your own research and trust your instincts.
    Totally agree! I go to doctor's appointments with the confidence of a professional. I know what I'm doing with regards to breastfeeding, solid feeding, sleeping arrangements, etc. I'm not confrontational and don't need to change their opinion but it's clear

I think back a lot to Paul's first hours when they put him in the NICU (where he didn't need to be) and wouldn't let me with him (c-section) and gave him a bottle essentially without my dh's consent. He said we wanted to breastfeed and of course they acted like nipple confusion was this crazy, made up notion. Now, that we're more experienced parents there is no way, absolutely no way, that we would allow this to happen. And it wasn't even a doctor forcing their agenda it was the nurses.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    Just to let you know that there are some doctors who approve & support BF past a year.
    That's why in my post I said MOST pediatricians. I gave birth to my son in Berkeley Ca so I know there are doctors, nurses even HOSPITALS that CAN pro breast-feeding. But what you and I experience is not the norm in this country. I personally see the results of that and people thinking what their doctors is FACT and trusted completely here on these boards everyday.

And Erin and Molly you have a point that there are lots of parenting choices that do play into our children's health. But really IMO doctors are really even that versed in keeping people well. They are trained how to diagnose sickness and what to give to function with or through the pain. Our doctors haven't cured anything since Polio. They just find drugs that help us live with chronic disease until death. I want better for that for my child. And to me the way to have it is to research my self, make choices that involve his health and really use his Pedi as more of a sounding board than anything else.....just someone I sometimes consult about things that she may have seen a few more times than me. Hopefully by the time my 2nd child gets here I won't really have to call her.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    This month's issue of Mothering Magazine has an article called "Extend Breastfeeding's Benefits."
    Could someone please let me know the date & issue number? I'd like to order the issue from the website but need the issue number.

Thanks!
    Lynn
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Issue 144 September/October 2007
    The article is called "Extend Breastfeeding's Benefits."

Still on newstands!

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    Issue 144 September/October 2007
    The article is called "Extend Breastfeeding's Benefits."

Still on newstands!
    Thanks! I picked up a copy at the health food store this evening.

Lynn
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)