Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nutritional value of breastmilk after 1 year

Default Re: Nutritional value of breastmilk after 1 year

Both my sons are allergic to cows milk and so have only had breastmilk for 2 and 4 years respectively. They do like soya yoghurts and ice cream, but won't touch soya milk. I occasionally use rice milk or oat milk in cooking, but again, they won't drink either of them directly. I think as long as they have a good varied diet generally, the absence of cows milk isn't a huge problem. You can get everything that's in cows milk from other sources.After all, there are plenty of societies where cows milk isn't traditionally part of the diet, and lots of perfectly healthy vegan people around too!

Quote Originally Posted by kandikane57 View Post
    So, should we still feed cows milk and BF after 1 or is BM only okay?
    just breastmilk is fine.... as long as toddler is nursing 3-4 times in 24 hours they don't need any other milk.

BM only is OK. MY 20month old isn't interested in Cow's milk..and I recently read some research that cited a study where baby calves were fed pasteurized milk and none of them lived longer than 3 months. If it can't sustain the animals it meant to sustain after pasteurization, how can it really sustain MY child??? The more I read about dairy, the more sure I become that we CAN live easily and well with out it. Our kids were meant to have OUR milk and our milk alone.

Way too lazy for formula

Yay!!!!! I was not sure if I had to add cows milk to his diet when he is 1....More reasons to keep on trucking I love it....I guess I just assumed that they had to have Cows milk with BM when they turn 1...
    Mommy to Chance Lane 1/18/07
    I love my miracle baby so much! Be the best that you can be to your angels no matter how selfless you have to be!

This should answer your questions re: cow's milk:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

My dd won't touch cows milk, even if I flavor it, even if I put it in a sipper cup. She will only drink water and 'boob'. I was pressured about getting her to have 2 cups of cows milk a day. So I found this site and got educated lol. She feeds four times a day, more on weekends and she eats yoghurt almost everyday long with a good variety of foods, so I know that she's getting what she needs without cows milk.

Thanks for posting those stats on breastmilk.

Yay yay yay more info. so I can slap people in the face with the knowledge they lack about bf'ing beyond 1!!! And you know (not to get down on ff'ing) but it always seems to be mothers who have NEVER bf and never thought of it. And you know who you are!!!
    My name is Rosie and I'm a mother to 3 girls and 2 boys

My girls:Janessa 10.30.93, Reanna 03.25.99 and Mylee 09.20.06
    My sons, Isaiah 07.16.97 and Shawn 09.12.08

Thanks for all the great info! My dd is 16 months and still bfs 4 - 5 times a day and she won't have cow's milk either. But I've been wondering, why do I read about moms whose peds tell them bfing beyond a year has no nutritional value? Why do the authors of some toddler books say that there's basically no point to bfing a toddler and even that it's bad because they don't learn to cope on their own. I think they say something like if your toddler still needs you for comfort it's not a good thing! Are they misinformed? What's up with doctors who don't know what's best for a toddler? It confuses me. Aren't we supposed to be able to trust these people? I don't get it.

Thank you for the great info! It's so interesting as well as confirming how I feel about nursing past one!

Quote Originally Posted by VerasMom View Post
    Thanks for all the great info! My dd is 16 months and still bfs 4 - 5 times a day and she won't have cow's milk either. But I've been wondering, why do I read about moms whose peds tell them bfing beyond a year has no nutritional value? Why do the authors of some toddler books say that there's basically no point to bfing a toddler and even that it's bad because they don't learn to cope on their own. I think they say something like if your toddler still needs you for comfort it's not a good thing! Are they misinformed? What's up with doctors who don't know what's best for a toddler? It confuses me. Aren't we supposed to be able to trust these people? I don't get it.
    Trusting doctors to have all the answers to parenting is a mistake. Doctors are really only supposed to give you MEDICAL advice not PARENTING advice. Breastfeeding beyond a year is a parenting decision. And in all the years of medical school that a pediatrician has, they only get 8hours of info on Breast feeding and usually it's OPTIONAL. Much like the class on circumcision. They don't even have to take it. And doctors are prone to believe everything that the formula reps tell them like it's fact. Many Many breastfeeding relationships are damaged or ruined because Doctors recommend supplementation not really understanding how that negatively affects supply. The AAP recommends breastfeeding for a"AT LEAST a year and as long as is mutually agreed on by my mother and child." All the factual research shows that there are huge benefits for as long as a child continues to nurse. But the rate of mothers that do it here(United States) even to a year much less beyond, makes it easy to make up stuff and have no research to back it up. The percentages of women to actually challenge any misinformation is minute. If you want factual information about the benefits about breastfeeding period, you speak to experts. In most cases the pediatrician is NOT that person. Luckily those people are here. And through this website you can find other experts in your immediate area as well as factual information that can't be disputed by your pediatrician.
    What we see here again and again, is that if you go to your pediatrician and act like what they say is law, they will lay the law down. If you walk in and act like YOU are in control of your child's well being and have done a ton of research to back up your decisions, they will respect you and your decisions. They can't MAKE you stop breastfeeding or supplement. Just like they can't MAKE you immunize your child. There is really no such thing as "Doctors Orders". But a lot of people don't realize that. If doesn't occur to people to question or doubt what they say. But when it comes to your child, do your own research and trust your instincts.

Way too lazy for formula