Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nutritional value of breastmilk after 1 year

Default Nutritional value of breastmilk after 1 year

This month's issue of Mothering Magazine has an article called "Extend Breastfeeding's Benefits." I know a lot of people are told that breastmilk has no nutritional benefit after 1 year, and it's hard to find any info to refute that idea. Anyway, the article included this wonderful tidbit, which I plan to trot out the next time someone tells me that nursing past one is only for comfort:

"Between the ages of 12 and 24 months, 448 milliliters of a mother's milk provide these percentages of the following minimum daily requirements:
    Energy: 29%
    Protein: 43%
    Calcium: 36%
    Vitamin A: 75%
    Folate: 76%
    Vitamin B12: 94%
    Vitamin C: 60%"

Default Re: Nutritional value of breastmilk after 1 year

wow thats awesome, I had no Idea, I hope I can make it that long!
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

thanks for posting this, as those people who criticize sometimes like hard facts!

Quote Originally Posted by raline View Post
    thanks for posting this, as those people who criticize sometimes like hard facts!
    True - but sometimes they'll still criticize even in the face of hard facts, because its their own guilt they're battling with, not the actual issue. KWIM?

Thanks for the info mama! I have to get a subscription!!!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

thanks for sharing that

thanks

The facts are interesting for sure, but I have 2 questions I like to ask of the people who tell me there is no nutritional value in extended breastfeeding.

The first is "Do you give your child cows' milk?" If they say yes (as most do) I then ask them about the nutritional value of cows' milk and ask them to explain to me in what way it is superior to human milk for human babies.

Not had any credible answers yet. Nobody has been able to tell me about the precise nutritional value of cows' milk - at best they mumble something about calcium - yet they almost all believe it's essential to their child's diet and give it without questioning. If they can't rationalise their decision to give their child the milk of another species, I don't think they can expect me to feel I need justify my choice to give MY children MY milk.
    Last edited by mrsavocet; August 31st, 2007 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks for sharing that!

here's more info

The primary benefit of breast milk is nutritional. Human milk contains just the right amount of fatty acids, lactose, water, and amino acids for human digestion, brain development, and growth.

Cow's milk contains a different type of protein than breast milk. This is good for calves, but human infants can have difficulty digesting it. Bottle-fed infants tend to be fatter than breast-fed infants, but not necessarily healthier.

Breast-fed babies have fewer illnesses because human milk transfers to the infant a mother's antibodies to disease. About 80 percent of the cells in breast milk are macrophages, cells that kill bacteria, fungi and viruses. Breast-fed babies are protected, in varying degrees, from a number of illnesses, including pneumonia, botulism, bronchitis, staphylococcal infections, influenza, ear infections, and German measles. Furthermore, mothers produce antibodies to whatever disease is present in their environment, making their milk custom-designed to fight the diseases their babies are exposed to as well.

A breast-fed baby's digestive tract contains large amounts of Lactobacillus bifidus, beneficial bacteria that prevent the growth of harmful organisms. Human milk straight from the breast is always sterile, never contaminated by polluted water or dirty bottles, which can also lead to diarrhea in the infant.

Human milk contains at least 100 ingredients not found in formula. No babies are allergic to their mother's milk, although they may have a reaction to something the mother eats. If she eliminates it from her diet, the problem resolves itself.

Sucking at the breast promotes good jaw development as well. It's harder work to get milk out of a breast than a bottle, and the exercise strengthens the jaws and encourages the growth of straight, healthy teeth. The baby at the breast also can control the flow of milk by sucking and stopping. With a bottle, the baby must constantly suck or react to the pressure of the nipple placed in the mouth.

Nursing may have psychological benefits for the infant as well, creating an early emotional attachment between mother and child. At birth, infants see only 12 to 15 inches, the distance between a nursing baby and its mother's face. Studies have found that infants as young as 1 week prefer the smell of their own mother's milk. When nursing pads soaked with breast milk are placed in their cribs, they turn their faces toward the one that smells familiar.

Many psychologists believe the nursing baby enjoys a sense of security from the warmth and presence of the mother, especially when there is skin-to-skin contact during feeding. Parents of bottle-fed babies may be tempted to prop bottles in the baby's mouth, with no human contact during feeding. But a nursing mother must cuddle her infant closely many times during the day. Nursing becomes more than a way to feed a baby; it's a source of warmth and comfort.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)