Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: YIKES!! I left my pump parts at home!!

Default YIKES!! I left my pump parts at home!!

I just need to vent a bit... My DH was nice enough to pack our car today before we left for work but he did so before I got to pack the pump with fresh parts for the day. Since the bag was not on the counter I forgot that I did not refill it! We carpooled today so I am stuck. I could try to get a ride to Babies R Us but I would not be able to sterilize the parts. I could try to get to my son around lunch but that is his nap time and if I mess with that he will be up all night. Has anyone gone 12 hours before? I really don't think I have other than at night and my body is used to doing that after 8 months. I am so scared I am going to be huge and hurting by 5:00 PM. I have never manually expressed so I don't know how to do that. Plus the idea of losing that milk makes me cringe.

I am so thankful that DHe wants to help but ANY break in my routine these days is a recipe for disaster. He brought our DS to me one morning this week before I was finished getting ready and actually got out of the house deodorant! I don't think I will ever get my brain back.

Thanks for letting me vent!!

Gené

Default Re: YIKES!! I left my pump parts at home!!

Poor girl! That really sucks, and 12 hrs is a long time, I guess it might be the time to learn manual expression (I don't know how to do it either). About the brain thing, that's funny! DH ask me sometimes what happened with mine, I usually tell him I have it on stand-by or shut down !

So, you'll need to remember to pack your own pump from now on! Lots of us have learned this lesson the hard way.

http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Hi sillygemini,

Here's a link with description of hand expression. Scroll down a bit on the page to get to it. I hope this helps!

Making It Work
    Hand-Expression

Mary

Oops. Cross posted! Nice link, Shannon!

Mary

PLEASE don't try to go 12 hours. You'd be putting yourself at risk for plugged ducts and mastitis.

Maybe consider *trying* to express manually? If that doesn't work, then please consider going to your ds at lunch. It would be better to have a baby who is off his schedule than have sore breasts!

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Babies R Us, Target, etc. also carry the micro steam sterilization bags, so you can sterilize in the micorwave if you have one at work. I know from experience. I'll never do that again!!!

Manual expression is not hard. I had to do it a couple of times because my son didn't want to nurse and I was overly full. I was at my parents house and I didn't bring my pump. I'm not able to get as much as when I pump but it beats sore breasts. I just kind of ran my figure down the length of my breast and massaged them and it seems to work okay. Fortunately I haven't forgotten my pump at home when I work (full-time) but the thought has crossed my mind to try and figure out a back up plan in case I ever do.