Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help desperately

Default Need help desperately

Good morning everyone! I am in some desperate need of help. My 11wk old son absolutely REFUSES any type of bottle we give him, doesn't do cup feeding. This morning I completely left the house for a while which only resulted in 1/2-1 hr of him crying while my DH tried to feed him. DH called me back into the house and the moment I picked up DS he stopped crying. He refused the bottle (of course) from me and wound up nursing for longer than usual once we started. He is exclusively BF, is a VERY healthy 16 lbs (9 lbs at birth), only sleeps 2-3 hrs at most throughout the night b/c of getting up to ferociously eat (despite even cluster feeding at night) and eats regularly every 2 hrs during the day-is this normal??. I have to go back to work in a short while and he'll be at daycare. Please help! I feel like I'm at the end of my rope and I HAVE to work-no 2 ways about it and he'll be in daycare 45 minutes from where I work (the price is more than double if he's in daycare in the town where I work). What should I do? I'm so very afraid he'll starve, hate daycare (as if I don't feel guilty enough).

Concerns:
    How to get food into him while I'm away
    Is him eating every 2 hrs normal? THus his naps only run about 45-60 minutes in length.
    What about only sleeping 2-3 hrs at one stretch at night?

I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Need help desperately

I can't be of too much help to you, b/c I had a baby who never would take a bottle... we ended up using a medicine dropper on the occasions when I needed to be away for short periods of time... could you try that?

Otherwise, I would recommend the book "Nursing Mother, Working Mother". You might want to get that asap and see what it has to say about working and continuing to bf, if you haven't already.

Good luck!

Jacqui

11 weeks is young yet..
    have you tired a straw? Some babies can learn how to use a straw.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bottle.html

Avent has a line of bottles, I think called the "nursing or nurser system"....my 5 month old dd is exclusively breastfed with an occasional bottle from dh; this is the only bottle she's ever really liked. The nipples have various stages, the older stages have more holes...they're also clear plastic, I guess silicone?? There's no taste or smell, some of those rubber nipples really stink, literally they smell too rubbery.

We have found recently though that the rejection has more to do with the milk temperature. My dh was warming it to his body temperature which happens to be slightly warmer than mine...so he started warming it to a point that felt a little cool on his wrist and she likes it better that way.

Hope this helps!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Hi there! I do not have much advice about going back to work but I will say that his sleeping is completely normal. My one year still eats in the night sometimes as often as every 3 hours if not less.
    Also, his naps are normal also. Babies spend most of their sleep in REM sleep, a very active sleep, so they are easily awakened by noise, hunger etc. If you wanting him to sleep longer through the naps and at night I would rec amend a book called " The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. It is a great book!
    Also, about the bottle I would keep trying different bottles and try a little every day. Most moms find that they can not be in the room during the bottle giving, even the little babies know when mom is around. You will probably just have to plan your outings around his feeds. I used to have to feed and then leave right away in order to get back to ds for his next feed that like your dc was as often as every 2 hours.
    Daycare will work out just fine, please do not beat your self up about going back to work, every mom has to do what works for them.

How to get food into him while I'm away
    Could you try nursing *just before* you leave? Also, you might try some of the suggestions for helping a breastfed baby take a bottle here:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bottle.html
    And you might also find the info on alternative methods of feeding found here helpful (note: not a LLL resource):
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

Is him eating every 2 hrs normal? THus his naps only run about 45-60 minutes in length.
    That is well within the range of normal.

What about only sleeping 2-3 hrs at one stretch at night?
    This is within the range of normal, as well. Are you concerned about how much sleep your baby is getting?

I feel that my DS is getting enough sleep overall during the night (usually 10pm-8am; this will of course have to change as he ages and he'll have to leave for daycare by6:30am). I'm more just questioning the frequency of his night wakings to feed and wondering when they'll start to lengthen out. Towards the 4-5am hour he's up every 1.5-2hrs! I swaddle him and run white noise throughout the night with the room kept as dark as possible.