Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What does the Let down feel like?

Default What does the Let down feel like?

My son is 9 days old and I'm dealing with a low milk supply. My lactation consultants asked if I feel the let down. I'm not really sure because I don't know what its supposed to feel like. Also I'm starting on Reglan today to boost my milk supply, has anyone had any experience with this medication? If so what was the outcome and how long did it take to see a difference?

Thanks so much for your help
    Jessica

Default Re: What does the Let down feel like?

Jessica,

I think letdown probably feels different to different women. Some moms never feel it at all. I don't feel it at every feeding, but when I do it is a prickly, tingling sensation. I usually feel it in the breast DD is NOT nursing on (strange, huh? I'd expect it to be the one DD is nursing from). When I pump, I never feel the letdown although I can see it.

Hang in there!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Welcome to the club, mommy, and congrats on the new little one!

It took a while for my milk to come in, too (and I'm still trying to resolve my low milk output!). My let down sometimes feels a little creepy-crawly, like something wiggling under my skin, and sometimes it hurts a little, like my breasts are swelling & stretching the skin-- but don't let that frighten you! There's nothing like the pain of childbirth (even if you've been induce & ended up with a Cesarean birth like I did), and so far my painful letdown doesn't compare!
    How do you know you have a low milk supply? LO is only 9 days, after all, and you're still recovering from havng him! Besides, it takes time to establish that supply & demand rhythm.
    Is he having plenty of wet & poopy diapers?

Well after 5 days of BF'ing I called a Lactation consultant because I was having some latching issues. I brought up to her that I thought that my milk hadn't come in yet. My son would nurse for 15+ mins on each breast and still act like he was very hungry. At my first consultation she weighed him before I nursed and after and there was hardly a difference. Then she had me pump and hardly anything came out. At todays appt she had me pump and still hardly anything..I'm talking like 5ml from BOTH breasts combined. I can't really use diaper count as an indication on what he's getting because I'm supplementing with formula until we can get my supply up. He usually takes 1-2 oz after I nurse him from both breasts.

are you experiencing any engorgement?

it was awhile before i began to feel the letdown with either of my dd's. to me, it feels tingly and prickly. i don't have much of a letdown when i'm very full or very empty. it's almost like a sense of release, like when you have to go to the bathroom really bad and finally get there.

I started feeling letdown around six weeks. For me, it's a throbbing, almost shooting pain that makes me clutch my boobs. They also get very firm very quickly when this happens. I only realized it was letdown when I caught them leaking at the same time, which they didn't allways do because I would press on them quickly. I'm at four months now and it still hurts. I guess it allways will. However, it only hurts when ds is not nursing, when my body thinks it's time or him to eat but he doesn't. And the opposite one hurts when he starts nursing, like someone said above. I believe it's different for everyone.

My letdown is that same prickly feeling, and my breast are firmer for about a minute or so, sometimes it is painful (like pipsmom said-usually only when my body says I should be nursing and am not). I don't always feel the letdown, just depends on the day. Sometimes I look down and realize he's chowing and I didn't feel it at all.

I felt a slight tingling sensation in my breasts. I don't feel it all the time but I felt it frequently the first month. Whenever she would cry , I would start tingling.

I always likened it to my breasts being electrocuted.

we have all talked about this before and it is interesting to me that some women never feel it and some do. I would not worry about a let down at 9 days pp. I did not feel mine for a while. And now, it is pretty extreme, almost can not talk through it. Not really in a bad way, but both breasts get that creepy crawly tingly feeling, almost like it is moving down my body from my shoulders.
    About your low milk supply, I am glad that she is weighing dc bc pumping IS not an accurate gage of what you are producing. My best advice would be to get in the bed with dc and nurse, nurse, nurse! Also you may want to look into a supplemental nursing system so even when he gets the formula he is also not getting nipple confusion, and at the same time your breasts will be stimulated to make milk. Any pacis? You might want to get rid of those also, all sucking should probably be done on you right now. As we say in the world of La Leche League, This too shall pass! I am sure that you have many happy days of breastfeeding ahead of you!