Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: um... just wondering...

Default um... just wondering...

ok, so... i havent had my baby yet, heh... but wanted to ask these questions. with my first, i breastfed until she was a month old (i really wanted to go longer... but she never learned to latch, me having not been able to see her for a week after she was born.) and i really, REALLY want to be able to BF this one for at LEAST 6 months... now, my questions are these.

when she is 7 months old, we have our anniversary... and i was wondering if, after 2 or 3 days away from her, will i need to stop BFing? will she except my breast after 3 days of pumped milk? should i even worry about pumping during our trip? honestly, i would love to go even longer than 6 months... maybe to a year? i guess i'm just worried about coming home, only to be unprepared for her rejection...

Default Re: um... just wondering...

Good for you for wanting to do something so good for your new LO!

I don't have experience with this myself, but I think there are lots of moms who have managed to be away from baby for a few days and still successfully BF upon their return. There are also lots of moms who have overcome nursing strikes and other problems and been able to resume an interrupted BFing relationship. You might have to do some extra snuggling and skin-to-skin contact to encourage her to get back on track, but it's definitely possible. Just make sure you're pumping while you're away too, to keep your supply going. Then maybe when you get home you'll want to get into a nice, warm bath with your LO so you can both relax and get reacquainted. In the meantime, don't stress about it. That's a long way away, and you can cross that bridge when you come to it! HTH!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by skys_eyes View Post
    when she is 7 months old, we have our anniversary... and i was wondering if, after 2 or 3 days away from her, will i need to stop BFing? will she except my breast after 3 days of pumped milk? should i even worry about pumping during our trip? honestly, i would love to go even longer than 6 months... maybe to a year? i guess i'm just worried about coming home, only to be unprepared for her rejection...
    on the pregnancy.

I think that once BF is established you should introduce the bottle with EBM once a week or so just so she is use to the bottle and you know she will take it. You DEFINATLY need to pump during the trip as A you will be sore if you don't and B you want to keep your milk supply up if you want to continue to BF.

If you come home and she decides she likes the bottle better you can always pump if you want her to continue to have you BM until a year. She may not though as its only a few days. You just need to make sure your prepared for it if she does.

One thing you may want to do is get a bottle that promotes BF. Something with a SLOW nipple. That way she wont think that the bottle is easier and not go back to the breast for that reason. I think the AVENT with the #1 nipple works well. Mine uses the #2 nipple and still goes back to the breast, only because she would not take the bottle with the #1 nipple. But I would not go higher then #2. I think there are other bottles that work well to maybe people on here can tell you which ones.

Good luck!
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

As long as everything is going well now. You shouldn't have a problem when you return from your trip! I know I have had to be away from my baby for work trips and he has been fine then when I get home he increases my milk supply. Just stock up some bottles before hand and have a great time!!

Another option, though you've received good suggestions, is postpone your trip Good luck!!!!!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

lol... it seems that we're always postponing something... first it was our honeymoon (with our first... she was 6 months old. hahaha!) and then our first vacation (with this one... summer being preggy... hmmm.)

i guess i just want to try and be normal for once. hahaha... be able to fit back into my swimsuit, and look great... but also have some me time. i havent had me time in about 3 years. hahaha!

Can baby go with you?
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

hmmm... i guess i could talk to hubby about that... i dunno... i mean, if we were to take the LO, then we'd want to take our bigger LO too... just because i don't think it would be really fair to take one and not the other... heh... might as well make it a vacation then, instead of a honeymoon... hehehe.

As far as bottles go we use Nuk orthodontic nipples they are shaped like the Nuk pacis and the hole is on the top of the nipple instead of on the end so she had to work a little harder. When we first started using a bottle every now and then we used the ones that came with my Avent Isis manual pump and she nearly drowned She couldn't keep up with the amount coming out with her strong suck so most of the ebm flowed out the sides of her mouth. As hard as it was for me to get anything out with a pump I cringed every time I saw that precious fluid sliding out onto a burp cloth
    Kristie
    Wife to Chris 11/09/02
    Mommy to Kaycee Elaine 6/15/07
    with baby girl Emily Taylor due 8/08/09

I am getting ready to be away from my LO for 17 days (she will be 6 months old by the time I leave). For us, it is not at all possible to take her along. I've spoken with some other mom's who said that they were away from their little ones for work-related reasons and for extended periods of time. Several things can happen: 1- LO can reject the breast for the bottle when you return; 2- LO can nurse like a lunatic when you come back because he/she is so happy to see you.
    I'm hoping that #2 occurs when I return, but if not, I will be happy to know that I gave her 6 good months of breastmilk right from the source. And I will continue pumping for those 17 days while I'm away from her so that I can continue to pump if she refuses the breast when I return.
    HTH... I'll let you know how my little one does when I return in late October!!!