Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Allergic to Breast Milk

Default Allergic to Breast Milk

I have seen to often recently on another board mamas stating as a fact that their babies were allergic to their BM. Is this possible? I know people always say it's not possible but I want numbers and info... Is it one of those things thats "only in rare instances" and if so - what are the numbers for that? I couldn't really find anything in the LLLi pages.

On an aside, is it better to say nothing to a mama who is saying that or give her information; assuming she has already long since weaned and is going to "try" for the next bb...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: Allergic to Breast Milk

I did read something about being ellergic to some componant of breastmilk in the allergy forum, it seems like it is possibale but its quite rare.

HTH

I checked it out and this is what I read,

Quote Originally Posted by aost View Post

I remember reading a lengthy article online about how BF'ing women with allergic babies have higher levels of something in their blood--the interleukin-something that Neesha mentioned does ring a bell..maybe that was it, This higher level of whatever makes it so the baby cannot tolerate the BM--I'm a little hazy on the details--I'll see if I can dig it up.

Angela
    Last edited by Noora_z3; August 31st, 2007 at 02:50 AM.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

anonymous Guest

I don't have my books here to look it up at the moment, but on telling the mother, you could say how then information she was given was wrong (if it was) and that her child has done lovely anyway (which I assume is the case)

I think it's better to give correct information, assure them though it's not their fault (when following medical advice) and give reassurance their child is still happy and healthy, and although they made a mistake per say, the child is fine, if that makes sense.

Not possible..maybe components of the breastmilk, milk protein ect but not the milk..

I've heard people say that too. My next door neighbor's grandson is supposedly allergic to his mom's milk, as they were told by a prominent hospital in the area. I just assume, since that is so rare, that the child was allergic/intolerant to something in mom's diet that is coming through the BM and the doctor's just "neglected" to explain or verify that... It's sad that so many mom's are given misinformation and end up switching to formula because that's what their doctor gave as an easy fix. Often times it seems it is not.

heres a good link from kelly moms...
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...tolerance.html

check out the other links at kelly moms too.
    Last edited by andrea_ohio; August 31st, 2007 at 05:47 AM.