Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is bf just for expense enough to continue?

Default Re: Is bf just for expense enough to continue?

Quote Originally Posted by babygurl View Post
    How about pumping? If it's the nursing sessions that bother you the most you could pump and just give her the bottles of bm? that way you will get the money savings and some sanity too...
    I have a pump my mom bought me and I love it. I get about 4oz in 40min between the two breasts. Anywho, I thought about it...gatta run dd2 is waking.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
    I get what you're saying. I had a stint of exclusively formula feeding for a while and it was completely exhausting. I'm not a fan of sitting still and was bored and frustrated during bfing. Turns out I have PPD. I'm on meds now and it is a huge difference. I feel like myself again!

Staying active helps me - that way I'm grateful for the chance to sit down and nurse.

I started breastfeeding beause of the cost of formula. Our budget is tight and it would be really tough to pay for formula. Our income is $50 per month above the cut-off for WIC too. When things got really tough, I kept rminding myself about the cost of formula to give me determination to keep going.

HTH.

Your post does help me. I have not made the choice to switch 100% and I am not looking for some one to tell me it is okay. I am just not sure if am the only one out here who bf just for budget reasons.... so thanks ^_~

i agree with the previous post sounds like u just dont want to and have made up ur mind already..so go ahead and for ur convenience stop...u talk about not bonding well u know as well as i that bf is the best way to bond and DJMOM was not saying anything wrong either...and im sorry but i also am not being rude...i worked my a** off to be where i am now with bf and to just say "hey I cant do this because i cant do what i want" was out of the question....

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I am so sorry you are having a hard time! I felt really overwhelmed the first few weeks of BF. How old is your little one? I found after about 3 weeks things got so much better. My hormones seemed to level off and everything just felt normal again. As you know bf is best for you and you baby but you have to do what you think is right. Remember if you make the switch to formula and change your mind and want to bf again it will be harder to get your milk supply up. Also as your LO gets older he will require more formula, which will mean more money. Best of Luck

I know each of you worked hard to be where you are in your milestones. I mean I am proud of myself for going one week long than I did four years ago. I just do not know how I will do thinks once dh goes to work. I know I have been told one task, one day, one week...at a time but I am not that person. I like a plan and well my plan for bf just is not working.

I thought I would have more help from my mom and mil and better luck finding LLL person to come and help me. I called the hospital and they charge $90 for a few hours with a consultant and I am not clear to drive since I had my c/s. I even found a nurse to come to my house but it was like $200.

Just my plans have been all shot heck and I am lost and losing hope. I have not talk to dh because I do not want to fail him. I do not want to fail my mom who bought me my pump and bags. Even thought she said I can sell it if bf does not work out or sell it to upgrade to a PIS. But the internet is flooded with Medela Swing for under $130, so selling is not an option right now.

Anywho, I am rambling and lost in my thought. Time for me to crash while dd2 is falling back to sleep.

If I switch to formula do you think I can still keep my milk supply up via pumping while "testing" formula. Just in case formula gets more expensive than we thought....i.e. needs specialty formula it does not work. Would I be able to just put her back on bmilk?

have u thought about supplementing? you could still do both...

We were giving her formula about 8oz a day (when my mil was over). Once my mil left I really stopped giving her so much formula. I think she has had 4oz today total and 2oz yesterday.

I just need to sleep and of all nights I am not tired.

I have to make myself sleepy.

Thanks for your help everyone and your POV ^_~

how old is dd2?

3wks Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by mom23cuties View Post
    I know each of you worked hard to be where you are in your milestones. I mean I am proud of myself for going one week long than I did four years ago. I just do not know how I will do thinks once dh goes to work. I know I have been told one task, one day, one week...at a time but I am not that person. I like a plan and well my plan for bf just is not working.

I thought I would have more help from my mom and mil and better luck finding LLL person to come and help me. I called the hospital and they charge $90 for a few hours with a consultant and I am not clear to drive since I had my c/s. I even found a nurse to come to my house but it was like $200.

Just my plans have been all shot heck and I am lost and losing hope. I have not talk to dh because I do not want to fail him. I do not want to fail my mom who bought me my pump and bags. Even thought she said I can sell it if bf does not work out or sell it to upgrade to a PIS. But the internet is flooded with Medela Swing for under $130, so selling is not an option right now.

Anywho, I am rambling and lost in my thought. Time for me to crash while dd2 is falling back to sleep.
    I agree with what everyone else says that it is a personal decisions. Have you weighed the pros and cons? To me there are many more pros to breastfeeding then formula feeding. I do realize babies go longer when eating with formula but they do this because the formula isn't digested in their tummy like breastmilk. It takes longer. IMO I want what is best for my kids not what is easiest.

I feel your pain with being tired and overwhelmed and having 2 kids to take care of. I have 2 sons and have breastfed them both. With the first baby yes it is easier and you do have way more time to sit and cuddle etc etc. With baby number 2 it isn't so easy. My husband is Active Duty in the Army and I do not have family here. I know all about not having help and doing everything yourself. I am responsible for the house, the kids, and everything else. I get DS1 to Karate, swimming lessons and everything else and I still manage to breastfed my little one on demand. I am not trying to one up you here or not sound supportive. I do totally understand your situation. My situation may be even worse as my husband is gone most of the time. He leaves most days before the kids wake up and comes home after they have went to bed. So even getting a shower or having someone hold let alone feed one child isn't an option for me. If he were here he would gladly do it. I agree with what someone else said about you coming here wanting to hear it is ok to stop breastfeeding.