Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night weaning question

Default Night weaning question

We are gradually wanting to night-wean our co-sleeping 20 month old. She nurses to sleep and nurses again about 3 times during the night (and that is a good night). I have done lots of reading and sought lots of advice and have some good ideas about how to proceed one step at a time.

But I have realised I have a specific question - do you think it is possible to cut out the night feedings without having to change how she goes to sleep (nursing)?

I've assumed from all the advice I've had that it's not because of the sleep association she has with nursing, but I've realised I have no problem nursing her to sleep - it's just the night wakings I would like to do away with!

Any ideas?

Also my dh's mother said that he just suddenly stopped nursing 2-hourly at night when he was 22 months old. Does anyone else have any experience of that - that it can just suddenly stop without any particular effort on the parents' part?

Default Re: Night weaning question

each kid is diffent my dd is almost 3 and she has slowly learned how to put her self to sleep at night. She still will ask to nurse alot and sometimes I wake up and sometimes I don't. She starts out in her own bed but ends up in ours sometime during the night. I also sometimes share her bed with my 4year old on nights where my hubby has to get up at 330 am to go to work.
    sometimes I will tell her that she has to wait intill its time to get up and she is fine with that.
    One of my older ones didn't start sleeping all night untill he was about 6 and then he started wetting the bed. I would rather they get up then wet the bed!

Default Re: Night weaning question

I'd like to recommend LLL's book "How Weaning Happens". There are parts in it about nighttime weaning.