Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk supply

Default Milk supply

Ok, my LO was two weeks old on Tuesday. At his Dr. visit, he actually had lost an ounce. So, the Dr. told me to try to get an ounce of formula in him after he bfeeds each time. He was also concerned that he was not pooping on a regular basis. The last time he pooped was provoked by a suppository used by Dr.'s suggestion, and that was the previous Tuesday. The doc checked him out, and was able to get him to poop in the office...which was still the miconium (sp?). He was concerned that the poop was not normal of an exclusively bf baby.

He goes back tomorrow (fri) for a weight check. Sometimes I am able to get a full ounce in him after he nurses, and sometimes I can't get barely any in at all.

I have tried pumping to increase my supply, but am a bit disconcerted about the amount I am actually able to pump. I was able to get maybe a 1/4 ounce out yesterday, and today I only got about a tablespoon.

I have read and heard that babies are much more efficient in expressing the milk than a pump is...so does that mean that maybe he is getting more than the measly amount that I am able to pump? I'm worried that I'm not able to give my baby enough, and I really don't want to continue to supplement.

What can I do to beef up my milk supply? I read that a small amount of caffeine can help, and to drink more water, which I am doing. I don't have much of an appetite, and I don't think that I am eating enough...could that be the problem? Is it my fault? Help!!!

Default Re: Milk supply

Hi

Yes - your little one is better than a pump at extracting the milk from you.

That's quite common not to be able to pump much, I was in the same boat and I'm sure many other women are as well. I had to supplement with formula when Brooke was still hungry and I didn't have enough breastmilk for her.

Keep in mind also that babies do go through 'growth spurts' at around 10 days and again at 3 weeks of life, so you will notice your son wanting to feed more during these times, in which you may think that your supply is low.

If you need to increase your supply I would suggest breastfeeding more frequently, and also I've heard that drinking Mother's Milk or Fenugreek Tea can help increase breastmilk supply.

Keeping your fluids up as you indicated that you are will also help.

And no, it's not your fault, don't blame yourself, it sounds like you're doing a great job in trying to increase your supply already anyway. Stay positive.