Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lip/tongue sucking, clicking, nipple jerking.... sorry long post!

Default Lip/tongue sucking, clicking, nipple jerking.... sorry long post!

Help! I'm a first time mom with an 8 week old that has weird sucking issues (weird to me at least). We've had several breastfeeding challenges since birth even though he gains weight really well (~2 oz/day) and has plenty of pee and poo diapers. The LC at the hospital said my baby nursed well and had a good latch, even though i had awful nipple pain, which later resulted in cracked, bleeding nipples. After doing a lot of online research and teaching my baby to latch better, the pain got better but then I developed thrush (which explained why the cracked nipple never healed). The baby doesn't have any symptoms but he is on Nystatin oral suspension anyway.

Now that the thrush is getting under control, I'm on to fixing this sucking issue. I've noticed that he'll suck on his upper lip or tongue (can't quite tell) when he is not on the breast. I'm guessing it's the same motion he's doing when he's on the breast that causes the clicking, and also possibly the jerking of the nipple. The clicking doesn't hurt, but when he sucks so that the breast jerks in and out of his mouth, that hurts! It's hard to explain exactly what happens with the jerking, but it's almost as if the breast "trips" when he sucks in and then it pops back out before he sucks in again. He never breaks suction so this all happens in his mouth.

Anyone ever experience this? Any suggestions?

Default Re: Lip/tongue sucking, clicking, nipple jerking.... sorry long post!

I'm sorry I've never experienced this. I just wanted to offer a and bump the thread up to see if someone else could help more.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Has he been checked for tongue tie? DS would kind of "flick" the end of my nipple when sucking before it got clipped. (I'm not sure if that's exactly what you're describing.)

I attended a LLL meeting recently and the leader there said the latch was good and she didn't think he is TT.

Sorry I can't help but my 8 week old baby started doing something similar I think...she really pulls on the nipple and so I take her off and she usually burps or needs to be in another position to poop. And she has been having a weird sucking issue...she seems to be getting enough milk but it's like the nipple is in the wrong place for a second or she's flipping it around or something weird. I just make sure she's' really hungry, not too tired and I hold her close to make sure she keeps a good latch. Hope that helps and hope it gets better. We're still working on it.

some babies just take time to learn.
    KEep working on latch!other babies just over night learn how to nurse beter and for shorter periods of time.

It kind of sounds like he isn't getting far enough onto the boob, kind of like he gets lazy and lets part of the boob fall out of his mouth. Dd1 was a great nurser but this baby is a little different. She is only 6 weeks so I know she will learn, but what I have to do is once she starts just sucking on the nipple, we stop the session, pull her off the breast, then relatch making sure she gets plenty of the boob into her mouth. The LC told me this was likely from her getting a little lazy and starting to nod off, so when I remove her it wakes her and we go back at it. Seriously we sometimes do this 6-8 times a session. Gets old, but it works and I know she will get better. Good luck!

Thanks for the support and help! I think he may not be getting enough of the boob, even though I always shove it in his mouth and try to get as much of it as i can in there.

Any ideas on how to keep him from losing suction or slipping off a good latch?

Ever thought it could be OALD? Have similar clicking and suction loss and LC's said it was DS way of dealing with it.

I guess that could be it. I was hoping that my baby wouldn't be a noisy eater, but I can deal with that if that's all it is.