Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lop-sided

Default Lop-sided

I had this problem with my first daughter. My 10 day old prefers my left side. She latches better, swallows consistently and is happier on the left side. I often start on the right and then switch over to the side that she likes. I was concerned about her weight and for 2 days I gave her more feedings on the side she likes because I knew she'd eat more that way and she'd also get the hind milk if I stuck to one side for a few feedings. Both sides were full of milk, engorged, leaking.....now today the right side feels soft and empty! What have I done? I tried pumping it and got almost nothing! What a fast change. I want to maintain my supply in that side. It doesn't have to match the output of the other side, but I want to keep it going.

What should I do??? Is it too late? How do I re-build it now?

thanks!

Default Re: Lop-sided

I think since most people are right handed, our babies all prefer our left side most..

Keep trying to put your LO on the right side first. Cross cradle, football, sidelaying, and biological nurturing style (this works best for my LO on the right side) are all easiest compared to cradle for me anyways. As they say, if it's demaded, the supply will happen.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

It will come back, that happened to me too. If you pump as often as you can, and try to start her off on that side a lot, you can make more milk, even when it seems like it's practically dried up.

Thanks! You know that breast seems like it's back to the same size as usual and I was so worried. I have started her on that side for the last 3 feedings and she Is drinking on that side. So, there is something there and she stays there for a good 5 minutes of swallowing. So, I will continue starting her there and I have some more confidence now that my supply will go back up more. At least the other side makes more than enough

Quote Originally Posted by momto2girls View Post
    Thanks! You know that breast seems like it's back to the same size as usual and I was so worried. I have started her on that side for the last 3 feedings and she Is drinking on that side. So, there is something there and she stays there for a good 5 minutes of swallowing. So, I will continue starting her there and I have some more confidence now that my supply will go back up more. At least the other side makes more than enough
    for baby and mama!

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07