Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Totally Ticked Off!!!!

Default Totally Ticked Off!!!!

Ok...I have a 22 month old who nursed like a champ and is still nursing a little...but my 10 week...she and I are fighting!!! By the time she is hungry and wants to eat, she will just scream and go nuts and refuse to eat. I have to swaddle her and bounce her for 10 minutes before she will calm down enough to eat. Then there are other time when if I even lean her back a little bit she will SCREAM! i don't think she has reflux....I have no idea what it is. I am getting so frustrated I am considering stopping all together. When she is flustered she will drink from a bottle no problem...but oh now...not from mama....HELP!!!

Default Re: Totally Ticked Off!!!!

She may be so hungry by the time you feed her that she's too wound up to eat, if that makes sense. Watch for hunger cues that happen before cries, like eating the fist, rooting and lip-smacking. Offer her the breast at these times and see if she takes it more readily. How long have you been giving the bottle? She could have nipple confusion. HTH, hang in there!

You could try giving her just enough from the bottle to settle her down, then switching to the breast. We had to start off BF'ing that for a bit and it worked out okay. I agree with PP maybe you're waiting until she's very hungry and can't get it out fast enough from the breast.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Why don't you think she has reflux? Position sensitivity is a pretty good indicator? So is lots of screaming...
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Quote Originally Posted by all night DQ View Post
    Why don't you think she has reflux? Position sensitivity is a pretty good indicator? So is lots of screaming...
    thats how we knew ...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

can you tell us about her nursing pattern?
    how many times in 24 hours?

Maybe LO would get less frustrated if you pump a little before offering breast to stimulate let down so she doesn't have to work so hard or be so patient when she's really hungry.

t

Well here is my other problem....when she was first born, I was constantly full to the point of pain and it seemed like she would never eat enough. Now, I never feel even moderately full. I wonder if she is getting enough, but she is still gaining weight fairly well. I have tried to pump to stimulate my milk production, but I seem to just stay empty. I agree she just may get overly hungry...but man it makes me crazy!!!

Here is her usual schedule...

7AM..wake and feeding...diaper change...back to bed about 7:30
    9AM wake for the day...feed...diaper change
    10AM...walk...she usually dozes in her wrap...
    11:30-12 feed...nap
    3-4PM wake....feed...
    6PM ...feed...nap
    8....feed...
    10 feed....BED!!

She usually wakes between 2-3 times a night to eat again

I just don't know what to do...my husband has started giving her formula when I am not looking...which really pisses me off!!! arg...i am at a loss. How can I increase my production...she always seems to eat better if my breast is fuller! HELP!

I don't even know what to say about DH giving formula, as mine would have done that if given half a chance in the early days. Then our ped instructed us to do so and it was such a slippery slope from there. I'm sure that your hormones are all over the place and everything will work out fine as soon as you can relax. That's what worked for me anyway, going off in a room by ourselves and laying down to nurse. DD hardly ever gave me hunger cues other than just balls-out wailing Your body has done this b4 so take a break when you can and take care of yourself. This too shall pass...
    Kristie
    Wife to Chris 11/09/02
    Mommy to Kaycee Elaine 6/15/07
    with baby girl Emily Taylor due 8/08/09

true...i do need to relax. we just found out we are moving to california the other day and have 2 weeks to do so. I feel like i am about to lose my mind. she nurses so well at night in bed and the morning...it is during the day when I am trying to nurse here and corral my 2 yo that it gets hard. I just wish I felt like I had more milk...i don't know what to do