Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pumping while flying

Default Re: Pumping while flying

I don't but I work for an incentive travel company. This trip is work-related for me.

Well, I just returned about a week ago from this trip and thought I'd post to let you know how it went! I pumped the whole time I was away (and dumped, even though it broke my heart!). I left enough milk for Ani to drink bm the entire time I was gone (and even came home to some left over!). And, as soon as she saw me, she started trying to suck on my face (I guess she forgot where my boobs were!). She went right back to the breast with no problem whatsoever. I also managed to keep my supply up the whole time I was gone, thanks to the Medela Symphony.
    Just an update!!!!

Becki, I wish I had seen your post earlier so you wouldn't have had to throw your milk away. I live in England, but go to the States twice a year for work. I pump and store it in the hotel fridge. The day before I leave, I get a thick styrofoam cooler and dry ice (you can have up to 2kg of dry ice). I just check the cooler as one of my bags and the dry ice keeps it frozen till I get home. Maybe that will work for you next time.

I am a working mom who pumps/nurses my 6 month old. I thought I would share the knowledge I have gained the past few months since my job requires me to travel and my baby does not travel with me. I could not find many tips to help me, so I figured it out for myself and now want to share. Here are a few tips for all you moms who travel and want to continue to pump. You CAN do it and it really is not hard. It has become so routine for me that I don't even really have to think about it anymore! Here's my story:
    Flying and the airports –
    You can now bring breast milk with you aboard your plane (refer to the TSA website and you will see the new rules). I learned this week that even though you can now bring on any amount of breastmilk in your bag, you may NOT have a frozen pack unless you actually have breastmilk in there with it. I like to get to the airport, check in, go through security and THEN go in and pump. I can still do that and keep my frozen pack inside my breast pump bag cooler as long as I have just a little breastmilk with it when I go through security.
    *If you happen to not have an ice pack or the TSA says you have to throw it out, don’t freak. Once you get into the airport you can take out one of your milk storage bags, get a cup of ice, fill it, zip it and throw it in the bag and that can keep your milk cold.

The only problem I encounter with bringing my milk on the plane with me that when I am gone for 2 or 3 days, I have SO much milk that it would be hard to pack it in my breastpump bag. There is so much stuff in there in the first place! Here is what I do and it stays nice and COLD.....so you don't have to throw it away:
    -Buy a small cooler, from the camping section of your Target, etc. Do not get a "lunch" bag. It won't work. I found one with a thick silver lining and it works great.

From home, pack it in your suitcase and just open it up and put other things in there so it is not wasted space. On your way back home, you will fill it with breastmilk. Once you are ready to leave your hotel and head home do this:
    -Get the bag from the ice bucket in the hotel room. I always ask housekeeping for 4 bags. This is from the experience that I had on my first trip when I came home and the milk was nice and cold, but the cooler was FULL of water and ice. One bag sometimes isn’t enough. I put ice in 2 separate bags, twist, tie and then bag them into another bag, just so the ice/water doesn’t get everywhere in my suitcase. I always buy the Lansinoh bags, the purple ones that say “My mommies milk”. They are more expensive, but they have leak proof double zipper seals and they WORK. I place my milk on the bottom of the cooler, then put the double bagged bags of ice on top. Zip up the cooler and place it in your suitcase. You are ready to go!

Anytime you can keep the cooler in a fridge or cold place, do it. I have asked the front desk of a hotel in NYC to put the cooler in their employee fridge until I can get back that afternoon (I had to checkout that morning and wouldn’t have access to the fridge). I find that people really are willing to help out, if you only ask.
    In the past 6 months, I have traveled from my home in Dallas to Florida, Chicago, Atlanta, NYC, Charlotte, and a few others. This has been in the heat of summer and the nicer cool fall months. I have never had the breastmilk in the cooler, in my suitcase, go bad due to weather. I have a note on my cooler that says “Breastmilk, please do not touch” in case the TSA might have to open my bag, but have never had any problems.

Hotels – ask the hotel if they have a minifridge in the room. Most rooms now have a “minibar”. This is fine too. Just pull out the drinks, water, etc and you can put your bags of milk in there. I even put a note on the minibar that says “Do not touch the breastmilk in this fridge, please” for the cleaning folks.

*always make sure your hotel room has a mini fridge. Often times, you can “rent” one, but I have never paid for one b/c I always get the manager on the phone, explaining what I am using it for and they don’t charge me. Even if you have to pay for it, it’s worth it!
    *I always make sure I go over my hotel bill a few days later, along with my credit card statement online to ensure I didn’t get charged for any of the items I took out of the minibar to store my milk.