Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weight gain?

Question weight gain?

should I be worried if my baby has not reached her birth weight after 2 1/2 weeks of breastfeeding? she was 8 lbs 8.2 oz at birth she was 8 lbs 5 oz when we left the hospital and at her 2 week checkup ( really 2 weeks 2 days) she is 8 lbs 6.5 oz she seems satisfied after she eats ( no fussing and usually goes back to sleep) and she eats every 1 to 4 hours day and night sometimes I have to wake her to eat. I'm trying to make sure I eat and drink enough to create a good supply for her to eat from so is there a problem with her not reaching her birth weight yet? Thanks in Advance for any help

Default Re: weight gain?

Hi There!

Congratulations on your new little one! You mention you got her weight at her checkup. Did your healthcare practitioner seem concerned at all with the weight?

It can take up to three weeks for your baby to regain her birthweight. Then baby should be gaining about 4-8 oz per week. You'll probably find that she'll hit a growth spurt here very soon (so if she starts eating all the time, don't panic!).

You also say that she eats every 1-4 hours during the day. How many feedings is she getting in during a 24 hour period? A baby this age should be eating a minimum of eight times per 24 hours. Some babies will eat as many as 12 or more times. At her age, 4 hours is really a little too long for her to be going without a feeding. She should probably be eating about every 1 1/2 to 2 hours during the day and every 3 hours at night.

Some people will tell you "never wake a sleeping baby!" but that's not so true with newborns. Sometimes we get sleepy ones who need a gentle reminder to wake up and eat This is also important for your milk supply. Baby needs to be eating frequently and removing milk from the breast so that your body knows to make more.

We also need to make sure she's getting enough when she does eat! She should be latching well (most or all of the areola in her mouth), and swallowing/gulping. Your breasts should feel fuller right before a feeding and softer afterward. Are you able to feel your letdowns?

It's also important to keep an eye on her diapers--baby should be having about 6 wet diapers and 2 bowel movements (the size of a US quarter or larger) per day.

Just keep an eye on that weight. At least it's going up instead of down, but we want to make sure that it keeps going up. You might go in for another weight check in a couple of days to make sure!

I know I've thrown a ton of information at you here! So feel free to write back with any more questions or info.

Congratulations again!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

It took a good 3 weeks for my now 8 MO to regain her birthweight. She was big--8 lb 12 oz, so the doctor said that was part of it. The more they weigh at birth, the more they're likely to lose at first, and the longer it takes to regain. We just went in for a few extra weight checks and she was fine. Definitely try and get a few more feedings in now and then during those 4 hour stretches and you'll probably see faster gain.

BTW, my "little" girl is enormous now and is certainly not underweight, judging from her Michelin Man arms and legs! I'm sure your little one will be fine too!

LLL LactoJen

the doctor said that she was close enough to her birthweight that he wanted me to continue to breastfeed, the four hours is mostly at night during the day most of the time I feel like I'm doing nothing but sitting on the couch feeding her LOL the times that I have counted how many times she ate in one 24 hour period it's been 6 to 8 feedings I feel as though she is getting enough to eat at a feeding because she seems satisfied and pees and poops in between EVERY feeding which I know is a good thing, Isn't another way to tell if they are latching well that breastfeeding doesn't hurt your nipples? cause I can tell when she is just sucking on nipple it hurts!! so I pull her (gently) off and relatch her. My breast's definatly do feel fuller before and empty after and the letdown is still fairly painful for me. ok I think that answers all your questions! LOL

Lilly'smom

thank you for your experience it makes me worry a little less knowing I'm not alone, I will definately try waking her more often to eat and maybe that will help!
    Amy

Yep, if she's latched right breastfeeding shouldn't hurt. Sounds like you're both doing great! Just try to squeeze in a couple of more feedings (bare minimum 8 per 24 hrs) and keep an eye on her weight. She'll probably hit a growth spurt and shoot up like a rocket before too long!

Good luck!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I forgot I wanted to add that our doctor also told me to start pumping 10 minutes on each side for ten minutes after each feeding to help bring my supply up since I will be returning to work at 6 weeks and I want to pump for her while I'm at work after her most recent feeding ( which I had to wake her for so she didn't eat much) I pumped 3 oz and actually felt my first second let down! ( if that makes sense LOL) so if everything sounds right I guess I'll just keep going with what I'm doing and see what happens at her next appt. and I'll see if I can take her in for a weighing only next week, ( I'm military and they are funny about things here which I suppose doesn't help to ease my worries) Thanks for everything!!

Amy