Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 months old - doesn't empty the breast completely at a time

Default 6 months old - doesn't empty the breast completely at a time

Hi friends,

My son is 6 months old and he is bottle fed(breastmilk that i pump at work and 1-2 ounces of formula sometimes) during the day time when I'm away for work. He drinks every 1 to 2 hours when I'm at home with him(including the whole night). But the problem is,most of the he doesn't empty atleast one breast at a time. He drinks some and stops. Then he feels hungry again in 1 or 1 and a half hours and drinks similarly. I should say he is a snacker!He is peeing well and is gaining weight well (19 lbs at 6 months).
    Can someone give me advice how to make him drink atleast one breast to the fullest so that he can be full for atleast 2 hrs. Please advice.

Thanks,
    Vishmom

Default Re: 6 months old - doesn't empty the breast completely at a time

I don't really have any answers, but I have some questions:

I can see why babies don't finish a breast at night since they tend to fall back asleep, but why isn't he finishing one breast during the day? Is he distracted? If he pulls off do you offer the breast again or do you just let him stop eating?

Default Re: 6 months old - doesn't empty the breast completely at a time

My LO at 10 months still does that ..but it got better, he is a definitly a snacker, try to nurse him in a dark quite room..sorry I am not of much help.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."