Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not latching on right side

Default not latching on right side

Hi all,
    My 5 wk old baby is not latching on my smaller, right breast. It is very painful and I give up after 5-10 min. I tried using a shield but he peels it off real quickly. He does ok on the left side. Other than pumping the right side, I don't know what to do.

Default Re: not latching on right side

Can you try positioning him the EXACT same way you do on the left....act like you're letting him latch onto the left, then just slide him over to the right. That helps with us sometimes, same smaller right boob, same problem.

It might feel a little awkward, but you'll get more comfortable with practice.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Thanks, I will give that a try!

I don't know that I have any really helpful suggestions, but when I read your post it triggered an 'oh, yeah' response. Are you right-handed, by any chance? My right boob is smaller, too, and I had more nipple problems on that side (blisters, etc) and I am now wondering if I just had a harder time getting a good latch with my weaker left hand. Now things seem to be fine, but it took a while...in the end I think part of the solution was that baby's latch improved as she got older. In retrospect it might have helped to be more persistent with relatching on that side...my leader has been wonderful to me and I should have probably gone to her to check it out again. I don't know if you have a good relationship with an LLLleader or not, but it was helpful for me to have her help me in person.

I have a very vivid memory of being about 6 weeks into bfing and having pain and latch issues. Here's what I did to get me through each feeding:

*nipple shields didn't work, so I would pump until it stopped being too painful to try latching on and relatching on that side. Usually about 12 hours or so, maybe a little less. I would also wear those bulky breast shields to help protect it while we were getting things figured out.

*I used a spray called 'labcatal' (don't know if it's available where you are). It helped, but was a pain since I had to clean it off. I was a latecomer to lanolin, but that stuff totally rocks. LLL sells some, but I bought mine because I needed it *right that moment* from my pharmacy -- 'purelan' from Medela.

*called and e-mailed my local leader. She was a great support. She saw me in person and helped as well.

I am sure you can work through this, just make sure you protect the nipple and work on getting a good latch with a wide-open mouth. You might change positions on that side and see if that helps. Which one are you using now?