Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Holding own

Default Holding own

Lo is 5.5 months. She doesn't hold her own bottle because we use a special botle as I am trying to get her back to the breast from eping. When we used Avent bottles she can hold them. My question is at what point is it important for me to give her a cup instead of a bottle? I read in a baby food book that by six months she should be using a sippy cup. I don't really care about this but I don't want to hold her back either if this is a skill that is important to work on.

Also has anyone ever heard of the book Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron? We got a copy at a yard sale. SOme of the info is good and some of it I think is a little off, but I wondered if anyone else heard of it or used it.

Default Re: Holding own

This is jmo but I think lots of kids have a great need to suck way after they are 6months old even after a year for some kids.
    ITs comforting to them.
    IS she meeting other milestones? My last 3 babies never used bottles on a regular basis. My one was even labeled "weird" by a health care worker becasue he didn't know what to do with a bottle and a baby doll, he had never seen a bottle before and never been around a baby that had one.
    a sippy cup that has a teat like a bottle that baby has to suck on is just like a bottle and not good for their teeth.

oh and there is lots of info on the website about starting solids.
    If you think some of the info in the book is not right go with your gut.
    You know your baby best.
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBsolids.html

We actually have that book right now, but we borrowed it from the library. I am thinking of buying it though. I really got it for the recipes. I like it and it received some really good reviews according to Amazon.com. There were some other baby food books that were just not right for me...too complicated, too vegan, too much. My LO just turned 6 months last week so we haven't tried too many of the recipes, but I keep referring to it when I am thinking of what food to introduce next. HTH!