Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: One breast per feed = engorged!!

Default One breast per feed = engorged!!

Hi all,

I have a one and a half week old girl. I started breastfeeding switching from one to the other (as advised in hospital). Now I read about hind milk I have switched to one breast per feed, but the other breast always gets too full and I'm afraid it will get engorged!

I dont really like the idea of constantly expressing the other breast. Help! Any ideas??

Default Re: One breast per feed = engorged!!

After my lo was born I had the same problem. If you switch sides about 10 minutes into the feeding you should be okay. She will get what she needs as far as hind milk.
    Molly, mom to Preston Feb. 17, 2007

with pp. However if you want to just do one side per feed, you can. Your body will adjust. You can pump from the full side now to alleviate engorgement and then offer that side next feeding. It takes a while, but you will even out. Another thing to do is offer your LO the full side when she's done with one side. HTH

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I had my baby on the 21st! Sounds like roughly the same time as you

I just went through this and with the advice from some people on this board, I think I have it under control now...for the most part (& at least a LOT better than it was).

I open the side of the bra that I am not feeding on and hold a burp cloth there and let some of the milk run out. I also take a hot shower before bed and just massage both breasts a little, get the knots out and it does wonder! You can try the shower trick two times a day. Try not to pump, it's hard to get over engorgement if you pump.

Quote Originally Posted by mothersky View Post
    with pp. However if you want to just do one side per feed, you can. Your body will adjust. You can pump from the full side now to alleviate engorgement and then offer that side next feeding. It takes a while, but you will even out. Another thing to do is offer your LO the full side when she's done with one side. HTH
    me too
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)