Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!! Baby will not latch

Default Help!! Baby will not latch

I have exclusively breastfed for four months. At 3 1/2 months my ds started sleeping through the night (12 hours). I started pumping for 1 feed at night while he was asleep to keep my production up. I would then feed him the ebm via bottle in the morning. As time went on he started to get get frustrated at the breast and the viscious cycle began ...my milk supply started to dwindle and my ds started getting more and more frustrated at the breast. At 4 1/2 months I started supplementing with formula. He is now 5 1/2 months and has been refusing to nurse (except for morning feeds). I have been pumping to keep up supply ...approx. 1-2 oz. every 4 hours and now taking fenugreek, have also purchased sns...sometimes ds will latch with sns, but usually when i get him into bf position he automatically starts to cry. Is it possible to make him latch if he doesn't want to?, and if so how? What are my chances of getting him to breastfeeed again? The thought of letting my milk supply decrease and fade away makes me very sad. I really don't want to give up breastfeeding..
    Last edited by mama4dylan; May 19th, 2006 at 11:21 PM.

Default Re: Help!! Baby will not latch

Hi there,

I can understand your wish to get ds back to BF and I commend you for that. I am sorry that you have gotten to the point of losing your milk supply. You sound like this really saddens you.

It is possible, but you can plan for it to take about as long as you have been away from full-time BF for your full supply to come back. (So if you have not been BF exclusively for 6 weeks, it will take about 6 weeks to get your supply back).

Have you been in touch with an IBCLC or LLLL?

Here is where to find a Leader in your area (make sure you check for groups with websites and also call the 1-800 number, because some groups don't have websites.):

http://www.lalecheleague.org/leaderinfo.html

What type of pump are you using? Would it be possible for you to rent a hospital-grade pump while you are re-establishing supply? This is the best pump to use in this situation.

Here is a link with more info on relactating:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/relactation.html

Do you notice any times that ds latches better? When he is sleepy? When he first wakes up?

Would you be able to eliminate the bottle supplements at this point? You could feed ds in other ways, such as with a cup.

Please check out the link above and let me know what you think.

Hi,

thanks for your reply,

I have been pumping for about two weeks with a rented hospital grade pump and my supply feels as though it is slowley coming up. My real problem is that my son really does not want anything to do with breastfeeding. He will latch sometimes in the morning and as long as my letdown comes fast
    ( which it doesn't always) and he will suck until the flow slows down maybe three or four minutes...Most other times I try he cries when I even attempt the to have him in that postion.

I will keep trying , I was dissappointed when the SNS didn't really help. I was just curious as to what your experience or anyone elses has been with getting a six month old to latch again?

Thanks again....

Hi, my experience is not the same as yours, but hopefully it will help you. My DD would not latch at all at birth, it took her almost two months to do so. She finally did, and it took patience. Here's what I was told by my LC. They told me not to force it- I got skin-to-skin, held her upright on my chest, and let her hang out there, always being relaxed and talking to her. She would begin to bob her head back and forth, and I'd help her position herself at my breast, finally. It took a few minutes for her to get there, and like I said, she didn't latch, but the important thing is that it was a happy place for her to be. Anytime she would start crying or fussing, I would take her back close to me and comfort her so that she wouldn't associate the breast with being upset. Maybe you could try something like that with your baby after he is fed and satisfied, just to have him remember that it is a good place to be?

I am also a firm believer in your tone setting the stage for all this- I tend to get anxious and upset, and I know that it was hard for me to just relax and let it be. I hope that it all works out for you and that this was helpful! Best to you and your baby!! You are doing a great job!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mama4dylan
    Hi,

thanks for your reply,

I have been pumping for about two weeks with a rented hospital grade pump and my supply feels as though it is slowley coming up. My real problem is that my son really does not want anything to do with breastfeeding. He will latch sometimes in the morning and as long as my letdown comes fast
    ( which it doesn't always) and he will suck until the flow slows down maybe three or four minutes...Most other times I try he cries when I even attempt the to have him in that postion.

I will keep trying , I was dissappointed when the SNS didn't really help. I was just curious as to what your experience or anyone elses has been with getting a six month old to latch again?

Thanks again....
    It is great that you feel your supply slowly coming up! It may take some time, but that may help with keeping ds interested at the breast.

I don't know if you are feeding with a bottle and would consider another method or not. This is something you may wish to discuss further with an LC or LLLL. But also, you may wish to only use slow-flow nipples if you are using a bottle. This will give ds a better idea of how it takes a little work to make the milk come. Some fast-flow nipples deliver instant gratification which only makes matters worse at the breast.

Keep up the good work! You are doing great!