Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it too late?

Default Is it too late?

I have a 4-month baby boy. His name is Bryan.
    There are two questions to ask: Is it too late to train to bf after 4 months,
    and what is wrong with my baby.

We knew our boy has tongue tied a few days after he was born. My husband could not stand the crying when we trained him to latch on, so we went on with bottles, mostly with formula and a little bit of expressed milk. Since he's been gaining weight, looks happy and so cute that we totally forgot about the tongue tie issue.

However, deep down, I still want to have the feeling of him latching on. The feeling is stronger now that he doesn't want to eat, and we have to warm up the milk, have him fed, then have to discard the precious breast milk (which I don't have much) after a couple of times warming it up. He now doesn't finish even a 4 ounce bottle.

I am thinking of having the procedure done, and after that will try bf again. Do you think it's possible? I haven't had any encouragement from any of my family member, so I feel I am alone.

The second question I want to ask is if something is wrong with my baby behavior. For a week now, when he wants to sleep, he shakes his head left right-left-right quickly, and sometimes real hard that I relate to someone who's addictecd to something and want to have it. I figure my baby is addicted to the pacifier, so I give him pacifier. But still, he's still rolling his head with the pacifier in his mouth. Also his legs kick, and his hands either spread out or hold each other.

It's hard to describe the movements my baby has, so please ask if you want me to clarify more. Please help. This is my first baby and I am worried almost about anything.

Thank you

Default Re: Is it too late?

Hi, I'm sorry I can't really help you about your questions, but since no one has replied yet I thought I'd make a suggestion...

I don't think it's too late to bf after 4 months but from what I understand it will take work. Why don't you ask the question under the "relactation" section on this website? Maybe someone can help you there.

Also, you might try asking a question specifically about 'tongue tie in a 4 month old,' so people who know about that might read and help out. I have heard it's easier to clip the frenulum when they are younger, but you really need to talk with someone who has done that.

As far as his behavior, well, I worry about my baby constantly but luckily so far things have worked out. It seems like in the early days, they do make some weird movements and then we have to figure out what they mean. Maybe he's not addicted to the pacifier, perhaps it means he's tired but doesn't know how to get himself to sleep yet -- I don't know, but keep watching when he does it and maybe you'll notice a pattern. If the pacifier doesn't help you could just check if he's too hot or cold, wants to be wrapped up, etc. You could mention it at your next doctor's appointment if you're still worried! Good luck with everything.

Don't know that I will be much help but I'll offer what I know. About the relactation issue. I think you can certainly reintroduce breastfeeding. My LC had mentioned to me once before that she had helped a lady start nursing her 3 month old b/c it was allergic to so many different formulas. I would suggest seeing a lactation consultant immediately. They can offer so much help!!

I am unsure about what you are describing about the baby and his behavior. You could always video what he does and show it to your doctor. It would help to maybe document how often he does it too. With my first my dr probably thought I was a nut b/c I called about everything and made appointments all the time. To be concerned is totally normal. I hope someone else can offer more advice.

We didn't have our son's tongue clipped until 9 weeks, spent a couple of weeks working with him so he could figure out that he could now use his tongue, and he is still nursing like a champ at 19 months. We never did bottles, though, so that might be a bit of a different issue.

Hi my son was born with tongue tie - we did have his tongue clipped at 5 days old. However, he did not latch on and i had nothing but trouble. He is now 6 weeks old and 4 days ago started breast feeding off me. It took that long to get him to feed off me and use his tongue the right way. I can understand you wanting to feed your son. I persisted because i felt the same way. However, i did express every 3 hours for 6 weeks in order to keep my milk supply. I would get onto a lactation consultant and see if you can arrange a supply line. The supply line comes from a bottle and is taped to your breast. When the tube is inserted into babys mouth with your nipple the baby will suck and eventually stimulate your milk production.
    I hope this helps but i just wanted you to know that it is possible as long as you are persistant and strong.

Thank you for your replies. It's nice to have encouragement. I am going to rent a hospital grade pump, hoping it would help with my milk supply.

My son's doctor already wrote a refferal for him to see otolaryngologist (?). There's a small problem as far as the referral go. When calling the insurance company to confirm coverage (I have Aetna Select), the receptionist was told that paper refferral is not accepted. The primary doctor has to call the insurance company. But when I called the insurance, I was told that paper referral is fine. However, the receptionist insisted that the primary doctor call. Well, she did, but she was put on hold for half an hour every time she calls. Now I don't know what to do. I already emailed Aetna, hoping I would get the answer on email, so I can bring it to the doctor's office. I really want the procedure done asap, but things are not as easy.

As far as consultant, how exactly does it work? The consultant comes to the house, or I come to her place? Also, how about the charge? I figure I have to find one near my house, right?

Again, thanks. Have a good long weekend.

Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by Kateliza View Post

As far as consultant, how exactly does it work? The consultant comes to the house, or I come to her place? Also, how about the charge? I figure I have to find one near my house, right?
    For a Lactation Consultant (LC)...check w/the hospital that you gave birth at or your local hospital. They should have a LC on staff that can answer your Q's over the phone for free. If you need to make an appmt to see one, check w/your insurance. They should cover it. Our hospital LC has a breastfeeding support group & during the support mtgs, the LC is available for Q's and assistance w/BF. It's wonderful. I don't know if we're just lucky or if all hospitals have this.

If you end up having to hire a LC, I believe they can come to your house. Your local LLL/leader may have some suggestions for you as well.

My daughter does the same thing with the head shaking... I'd chalked it up to nipple confusion or frustration at feedings since she was in the NICU, and was given the bottle with expressed milk for the first week.

We are still having problems getting her to latch on at 3.5 weeks, and I'm very frustrated. I pump as often as I can, but I feel like her intake will be greater than my output very soon if we continue to have to bottle feed with expressed milk. I'm exhausted and ready to give up. If you find out anything about the head shaking, let me know... I'm hoping that you get the info you are looking for...