Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Homemade bananas and nectarines

Default Homemade bananas and nectarines

I've just made some purees, and I thought of a few concerns.

For the nectarines, if I pureed it well, will I need to worry about the little stringy bits that are near the pit? I baked the nectarine, and then removed the pit. The bit a sampled had some of the strings in it. I tried to look through as I was putting them in the ice cube tray, and I picked out one large piece. I do not have a mesh strainer, but I don't know if it is worth buying since the puree may be too thick anyway. With ds being almost 7 months, I don't want to water it down a lot, just to need to thicken it back up with cereal or something.

For the bananas, they were getting really ripe, so I wanted to do all three at once. I froze all except a couple tablespoons for ds to try tomorrow. By the time I had everything set, they had started to turn brown. Plus, the bananas in the fridge will certainly be brown by tomorrow. Is this okay to use still?

I making food for ds!

Default Re: Homemade bananas and nectarines

We do feed the "stringy" bits to Daniel when the nectarines are raw. I cut it up into dices and feed to him that way. So I know the stringies arent too long.

As for bananas, I freeze whole bananas for muffins. The peel turns black, but the inside is still fine. I do this all the same time and we are all fine and healthy. I think browning is the reaction to being exposed to air.

Hey its not like we're boiling them in plastic bags or anything?

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

I agree with what Lyn said. I think the stringy bits are okay, and the bananas should still be good.
    I have a food mill and I love it. I too wasn't sure it would be worth it, but I find that if I put something fiberous through the mill, it gets rid of most of the stringy or husky parts (works well with peas). If it needs to be finer, I'll put in through the food proceser, just to make it a little softer and more pureed.
    I too making baby food! I was telling some co-workers the other day about it, and they looked at me like I was nuts. It's nice to know that SOMEONE feels me on this!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    We do feed the "stringy" bits to Daniel when the nectarines are raw. I cut it up into dices and feed to him that way. So I know the stringies arent too long.
    Good idea, I didn't even think about them until I had already pureed it. I was impressed by my stick blender (had it in college, but never used it), so I didn't cut them up because I wanted to see if it had the power to puree them when they were just halved. I feel like I sound like Tim the Toolman Taylor... Oh, did I read somewhere you have the Magic Bullet? I bet that purees well!

Hey its not like we're boiling them in plastic bags or anything?

Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda's Mom View Post
    I have a food mill and I love it. I too wasn't sure it would be worth it, but I find that if I put something fiberous through the mill, it gets rid of most of the stringy or husky parts (works well with peas). If it needs to be finer, I'll put in through the food proceser, just to make it a little softer and more pureed.
    I too making baby food! I was telling some co-workers the other day about it, and they looked at me like I was nuts. It's nice to know that SOMEONE feels me on this!
    Thanks for the opinion on the food mill. I've been kind of thinking about one, but I wasn't really sure how well they'd work. Is it a manual powered one? I saw the Babysteps food mill at Babies R Us, and that's a really reasonable price. I have a stick blender and a regular blender right now.

I'm so glad I hang out here because it's nice to find other mamas who are into the same stuff I am (or rather, I find out about it here and try it and it!). When I was telling my mom I thought I wanted to make ds' baby food, I found out she actually made a lot of mine! She's made my ds some too, since they have a big garden.

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    Thanks for the opinion on the food mill. I've been kind of thinking about one, but I wasn't really sure how well they'd work. Is it a manual powered one? I saw the Babysteps food mill at Babies R Us, and that's a really reasonable price. I have a stick blender and a regular blender right now.
    I have a hand powered one. I got it at Bed. Bath and Beyond, and it was about $25, but I justified it. I plan to make DD's food for a long time, plus any other babies I may have!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

As for bananas, I freeze whole bananas for muffins. The peel turns black, but the inside is still fine. I do this all the same time and we are all fine and healthy. I think browning is the reaction to being exposed to air.

Lyn
    I used to do the same thing, and would cringe when it came time to use them b/c it hurt my fingers to peel them semi-frozen, and if they thaw out too much they are a mess. So now I peel them before I freeze them, you just cannot wait too long to use them b/c the skins aren't there for protection.