Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush treatment

Default Thrush treatment

What have you heard of/tried to treat thrush? Oral nystatin worked for my LO, but the doctor gave me gentian violet, which only cured me until I stopped using it. I'm exclusively pumping at this point. Don't want to try the gentian violet again, since I just found out that it's a carcinogenic and letting it come into contact with open wounds could result in permanent tattooing (gee, no wonder I had a hard time trying to get it off of my cracked, bleeding nipple)... Around here they just prescribe either nystatin or gentian violet,though. What other options are out there?

Default Re: Thrush treatment

There is a thrush treatment protocol by Dr. Jack Newman. He recommends Diflucan for tough cases. I think it is available on kellymom.com or google it.
    HTH!
    BTW I thought I had thrush for the longest time but it tirned out the main problem was an intraductal bacterial infection.
    It's important to treat both mom and baby or you'll pass the thrush back and forth. Taking probiotics can help too.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I used Gentian Violet and it worked like a charm - you should only need to use it 3 times though . . . maybe your bras/nursing pads/baby still have thrush and so you are getting it passed back to ya?

That said, if gentian violet isn't working for you, you can try grapeFRUIT seed extract (GSE). It also works well . . . you can find it in liquid form at most health food stores. With GSE, you put put 15 drops in 8 oz of water (make sure it is mixed REALLY well - you'll know it is b/c it tastes awful ). You can also make a solution of GSE and water and put it on your nipples. I read you should do that AFTER baby nurses so LO doesn't connect awful taste to nursing.

My go to method to cure my thrush was gentian violet 3 times (maybe it was 4) both on myself and my baby. I did this for 3 days. With each feeding, I put Lotrimin (athletes foot cream - I've also read monistat works but lotrimin was MUCH cheaper and worked just great for us) all over nipple/aureoles. If you do this, make sure you wash w/ warm soapy water before nursing. I had to use the lotrimin for 3 or 4 weeks, but the thrush slowly disappeared. My local LLL leader told me thrush comes on gradually and leaves gradually . . . we never used anything prescription, so I don't know anything about that route other than I know oral diflucan works for a lot of ppl when nyastatin doesn't. HTH!

Good luck hun, I know how painful thrush is - I vomited through nursing session because the pain was so awful. We are thrush free and soooo happy - it can happen! Just keep up w/ it!!

I just started a 10 day prescription for Diflucan. My dr and my LC put their heads together and thought that would be best for me. They think we have thrush and mastitis which is horrible so I am on the Diflucan and a Z-pac.

Quote Originally Posted by melindabwell View Post
    I just started a 10 day prescription for Diflucan. My dr and my LC put their heads together and thought that would be best for me. They think we have thrush and mastitis which is horrible so I am on the Diflucan and a Z-pac.
    I had to take 2 rounds of the antibiotic to get rid of mine. It might be a good idea to take probiotic capsules while you're on the meds.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Default probitoic capsules....

call me crazy but what are they and where do I get them. What exactly do they do? Work with the diflucan??

Default Re: probitoic capsules....

call me crazy but what are they and where do I get them. What exactly do they do? Work with the diflucan??
    You can get probiotic capsules from a health food store I believe. And yes, you can take w/ diflucan

They are actually "good" bacteria, acidophilus and others, and are found in yogurt (live and active cultures) but not enough to be therapeutic. Thrush/yeast overgrowth can occur when there is not enough "good" bacteria populating the gut, so it is good to take probiotics (1) while on antibiotics and (2) while you have thrush.

Quote Originally Posted by shahadaghan View Post
    You can get probiotic capsules from a health food store I believe. And yes, you can take w/ diflucan
    An employee at the health food store or "natural" pharmacy should be able to help you find a good one. Refrigerated kinds are better.

Molly

I apologize if any of this is a repeat of a PP. I have this saved in word as I have given advice regarding thrush to soooo many as I fought it for some time, hope something you read helps you out!

--Wash all toys in VERY hot water daily (if you boil them you'll have to thrown them away, esp. plastic..lol) vinegar and water rinse...toys that can not be submerged, clean with bleach, vinegar, etc...

--Wash laundered items that touch your breast, your LO's mouth, drool, etc. in very hot water

--Rinse after nursing with Grapefruit Seed Extract and water mixture (not grape seed) Swap LO's mouth with it as well

--Primodopholus for LO's mouth. Mixed with drops of water to make a paste, (my LO loved this)

--and I resorted to taking Diflucan myself, I think this was what sealed the deal along with cutting all sugar out of my diet, this includes fruit, wheat, chocolate, etc. (Very hard, but worth it)

--Also keep in mind if you will be eating a lot of yogurt, (depending on the kind) they can contain a lot of sugar which is counterproductive for yeast. Look for plain yogurt, or maybe just vanilla sweetened with Splenda, which does not go into the breastmilk as much as sugar does.......

If you would like to PM me for more help/advice, feel free...
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet