Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MIL supplementing w/rice porridge

Default MIL supplementing w/rice porridge

I leave my MIL 3 bottles a day (about 7 oz. or so in each bottle), but sometimes I only leave her 2 bottles to feed our son while I'm away at work. 2 bottles isn't enough, and she really, really doesn't want to give him formula for the 1 feeding, so she makes him rice porridge instead (she basically boils rice and gives him the really sticky water that isn't absorbed by the rice). Do you think it's ok for him to get rice porridge for one of his feedings? My baby is 6.5 months, btw...

Wife to Jung Sik, 10/07/05^^
    Mommy to Seung Jin, born 02/07/07

Default Re: MIL supplementing w/rice porridge

Not if you don't want her to do that! I guess cultural practices could come into play here, but it seems to me that there would be a lot of nutrients missing from rice porridge. I don't know jack about it, though, so could easily be wrong. Why doesn't she want to give formula? Is it a new thing for her and she mistrusts it? Wonder if she would compromise and give half and half...

If you don't want her to do that, you could always send a 3rd bottle with her. Otherwise, I guess one feeding of rice porridge wouldn't be that bad. It's only one bottle, not like she's feeding it all day right?? I dunno, never even heard of rice porridge before. It's all in what you want really. At 6.5 mo solids are ok to do at this point if you want, KWIM??? Sorry, not much help on this end.

in my opinion solids really shouldn't be given in a bottle as its important to develop the gumming swallowing required for real food, everything takes practice you know. Also there is not much in what your mum is making him in terms of nutrients, sorta like an empty filler almost the same as water kwim. Your filling his belly but not giving him an real source of nutrients. I would either give hime another bottle of bm or some nutrient rich solid food, like avocado. thats my take on hth. By the way, did the mum talk to you about the rice thing or were you taken back by it, just wondering
    kate:
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

hey just read again looks like shes not giving it to him in a bubba, I would still consider giving the babe something with some more nutrient rich stuff though. Your lo almost being seven months there is definitely healthier options!
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

It would be one thing if they were just experimenting with rice porridge, but if she's actually using it to replace a feeding then I think that's a problem. He's getting his tummy filled without getting any nutrition, which isn't good at any age, but especially not at such an important stage of development. If you're not able to provide another bottle, I would ask her to give him formula or iron-fortified baby cereal.
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

Your baby is 6.5 months old so he should be able to take solids. Why doesn't she give him a nutritious solid instead of rice porridge? Avocados, bananas, sweet potatoes are all nutritious alternatives.

Seems like everyone has the same opinion I do (that rice porridge isn't very nutritious and is just filling his belly). I think I will prepare a bottle of formula for her and ask her to give it to him if she runs out of BM. She doesn't want to give him formula because she's heard in the media that formula contains heavy metals (apparently found in some brands here). Also, she isn't into using anything that's artificial (she even washes dishes with flour, and, er, claims flour has anti-bacterial properties....). Thanks for the responses! ^^

amy mabe you'd like to read this:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr01p64solids.html

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    amy mabe you'd like to read this:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr01p64solids.html

Thanks- that was a really interesting article!