Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: attn homemade baby food making mamas

Default attn homemade baby food making mamas

when is it ok to use spices (ie parsley,thyme, etc.) when making homemade baby food?

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Default Re: attn homemade baby food making mamas

I've wondered this too...you beat me to asking!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

I want to know this so I can give her what we are eating at the table.
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

I started doing this around 9mo. DS has taken to anything I have given him thus far. Story is that when they are just little grains of rice inside you that they get a flavor for what you eat....not sure the truth in that...but he seems to like everything I like to this date..so who knows...

Of course just make sure the things you add have no MSG and are very low in sodium.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by Aidens Mommy View Post
    Of course just make sure the things you add have no MSG and are very low in sodium.

One reason you don't want to introduce to many spices is so they don't loose a taste for some of the bland things that are healthy for them. That's also why they say to introduce veggies before fruits! My son is 14 months old & he has had a very minimal amount of spice in his life! It's usually just when he's eating what we're having that he gets spices.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

i started out with just basic foods for my son. peas, sweet potatoes, squash, broccoli, carrots, spinach, rice cereal, etc. i never added any spices to those things (except cinammon with apple sauce because it's so good). when he started eating more complex meals, i added spices. i think he can handle hotter foods than my husband can.

Globemistress...be careful with the cinamon. I gave it to my daughter early (probably around 6 months) and she ended up with an allergy to it. I later found out that cinamon is a spice you are supposed to wait to introduce until later...unfortunately, I don't know how much later. she eventually out grew it, but I thought I would warn you. With my son, i am just doing basic foods and combos of foods, but the reason I asked about the spices is because the baby food cookbook I have recommends using herbs and broth in some things. thanks for the help!

I am going to start at around 10-12 months when he is used to eating more table food. I did give him a taste of curry today from my lunch and he seemed to like it! It was very mild though. It probably gave him memories of being in the womb!